Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

And its a hello from me.

Thunder

Hello everybody;

I am kinda newbie, having always looked to the skys from a young age I eventually read astrophysics at uni, but with very minimal skills when it came to the practicle elements. Now graduated and earning I can look at taking it up as a hobby, which I just haven't been able to do for years. I wanted to start with my binos and then do some widefield images when I get myself a camera (which i can do this side of the new year if nothing goes wrong) as I won't be able to afford a telescope for another year or so and came here to read all the advice you give out which looks fantastic.

Andrew, West Berks.

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum.

Learning the sky with a pair of binos is a good start and will pay dividends when you finally decide on buying a scope. Astrophotography, or the 'Dark Side' as it is sometimes referred to is an interesting aspect of astronomy but one that can be expensive depending on how far you want to go with it. Look forwrd to seeing you post your widefield shots though!!!

Clear skies

James

Hi Thunder and welcome to the group :icon_salut:

Binocs is a great way to start - a planisphere will help out in the field - and download a copy of Stellarium (free planetarium software) its great.

Good starter scopes aren't that expensive nowadays - you can get a very capable one for around £130 while you're saving - or second hand and not too old can can be had from the for sale section for a fair bit less - there are some great bargains to be had when you're ready.

Hi Andrew and welcome, the more you read on here the quicker your buy your first scope, thats what happened to me

So true, the more i am looking into it the more I want to get one, but I am not going to let myself run riot :icon_salut:

Archived