Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen 80MF Refractor CLEARANCE

FLO

Yes, it can be.... depends on which Stage 1 or 2 mod you choose...(see the write-up for details)

Ken

Have you a link to the write-up please?

We don't have experience of PST modification, other than seeing the amazing images from NickH's setup. We are offering this telescope for visual and autoguiding use. If someone has mistakenly purchased it for a PST modification project please contact us so we can reverse their order.

I am guessing that for PST modding you are favouring the more expensive Japanese-made version. We can source that but not at the same price, it would retail around £260-270.

HTH,

Steve

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 80 MF works well for the PST mod!!

My write-up, as it's now 6Mb, is available via email from me.

If you have a website that can host it, I'm more than prepared to upload a copy for the benefit of all the amateurs considering the mod.

Ken

The 80 MF works well for the PST mod!!
optically this one will do the job just as well

That's a relief ;)

My write-up, as it's now 6Mb, is available via email from me.

If you have a website that can host it, I'm more than prepared to upload a copy for the benefit of all the amateurs considering the mod.

Ken

I'll phone tomorrow :)

Hope you got my direct email Steve! What are these like as a simple planetary scope?

Wayne...

I have your email :)

It is a long focal-ratio achromat so whilst it isn't a dedicated 'planet killer' chromatic abberation (colour fringing around bright stars) is well controlled and it will achieve around 150x magnification so I think you will be impressed. I shall put mine on a Mini Porta for quick and easy 'grab & go' observation of the usual showcase targets. That is all I seem to manage these days what with the demands of a young company and family.

Can someone clarify the differences here? For me any PST applications are off in the future, for now I'm interested in it just as a long(ish) focal length achromat for visual use.

Had guessed from the image that it was a 1.25" focuser, which isn't an issue for me. So do I care if it's Chinese or Japanese? Are the optics the same?

Brian,

Technically there's no reason why you couldn't double stack the PST etalons in the modded configuration...then you could have a 90mm ERF double stack Ha scope.:)

(If someone wants to offer the "loan" of a PST etalon...I can certainly confirm this idea.);)

Ken

Tis a very interesting concept Ken and one that i would be interested in !!! . I did enquire about a DS Mod some years ago though and was told that it could not be done , and to my knowledge it has not been done successfully? , when i had the my stage Mod1 i was able to DS it with a PSM40 on front of the 80mm scope but it was on slightly better than the regular DS PST , no extra ERF was needed for that as the PSM40 already had one .

But im not ready to pull my PST apart just yet :)

Brian

Don't think so, Nick...

The first etalon will provide a focused beam, fl200 and the entry "barlow" on the second etalon will make this a collimated beam through the second etalon, and finally the rear lens of the etalon will bring you back to focus....

Certainly sounds feasible to me.

Ken

Archived