Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

List of things to buy

Hi,

So I have decided to get the Skywatcher Skymax 127 Supatrak (wihtout GOTO) at the moment. I think longer term I will also invest in a second hand 8"Dob but I think the 127 will suit my needs at the moment.

Just want to check I'll be ordering the extras I'll need:

Definites:

* Power supply: might just buy the Skywatcher 7Ah Power Pack from FLO but will quickly check out Maplins/Halfords tomorrow to see if worthwhile getting it from there. £49

* Moon Filter: Baader Neutral Density Moon Filter but not quite sure what Density would be best, any advice? Also not sure whether Ineed 1.25" or 2" as this affects the price. Not sure whether a Variable filter was best. A Neodydium filter was recommended but that seems to only be for Light Pollution so I'm a bit confused about that.

* Orion 127 Dew shield from Telescope Planet £15 unless FLO have one

Maybes:

* Light Pollution Filter Baader Neodydium

* Other EPs. Does anyone have a good recommendation for other EPs. I am particularly interested in seeing Jupiter and other planets up close, so any recommendations gratefully received. (and if any of the EPs are also usable on a possible future 8" dob that would be great too!)

I already know about gloves, warm clothing etc. Is there anything else worthwhile ordering from FLO?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello again!

About the finderscope, I found it very worthwhile getting another one. The red-dot finder is ok but I felt I needed something that gave some extra magnification. I opted for the 9x50 SW one and it is very good. It does take a while getting used to as everything is inverted and upside down and I would suggest getting one that is right-angled (I didnt). Some of the larger clusters I feel suffer in the MAK due to the narrow field of view and although I have bino's the finderscope gives me some additional views.

About the eyepieces - not an expert but I would stay away from the Meade 40mm plossl! I got it at a reduced price but I hate it. You have to keep your eye some way away from the EP otherwise the central obstruction in the MAK can get in the way of the view. I'm sure its a decent ep just not with the MAK. I bought the TAL 7.5 mm for max power and its ok but i would probably go for something else at this power second time round. I also got a SW wide angle 15mm which I like a lot. Currently thinking about getting the revelation kit. Anyone get any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the advice.

Stephen and Milkyjoe, yes I am having a bit of a trawl through the Maplins website looking for a good power supply. I've tried phoning my local one to see what they have in stock but they are not answering the phones at the moment. Must be a big rush on electrical goods on a Tuseday morning!

Steve1976:Thanks for the recommendation of the finderscope. I'm goint to check that one out now.Is the Revelation set the one at FLO for £125. Cripes, I'll have fun getting that past my husband, but I can always try. I'm unsure whether just to use the EPs that come with the 127 MAK in the short term and upgrade when I feel the need, but then Jupiter is so inviting at the moment I don't want to miss out on the chance to see it at its best.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best EP to see Jupiter/Saturn with for the 127 MAK?

Stephen, yes I am leaning towards a Light Pollution filter, thanks

....Does anyone have a recommendation for the best EP to see Jupiter/Saturn with for the 127 MAK?

It depends on the observing conditions, which vary night to night, often hour to hour !. I was using a 6" mak last night and found that 180x was the most effective - with the 127 Mak that would be around an 8mm eyepiece.

I'd only get the accesories you absolutely need (ie: dew shield !) to be honest - I see so many newcomers to the hobby splash out on loads of bits and bobs before their new scope even arrives - and then much of it appears in the classifieds section as they get used to the scope, it's strengths and weaknesses and their own preferences only then realising what they REALLY need :)

Hi John,

I think that is wise advice, ooh but it is so tempting to get everything at once, but no you are right.

I was wondering though (!) about whether the Revelation EP set would be a good buy for £125. It does have some coloured filters there I am not sure I will ever use, but the range of EPs looks good and it comes with a moon filter. The thing is, in the short term I mainly want to look at solar system objects so perhaps the Revelation set is overkill at the moment. I have heard the 10mm that comes with the 127MAk is not fantastic, so I am not sure what to do: whether to get the Revelation kit or just invest in one or two good EPs.

Hi Lady Merlin,

Sound advice to sit on what you have for the time being, but if you want to see Jupiter up close and personal you could invest in a s/hand Orthoscopic a 7mm CircleT £30, sometimes less, or Baader/ University Optics, the later are more expensive though but reputed to be just that bit better by a small margin, this will give you a mag of 214x you can also invest in a good quality Barlow which will double the mag of any EP, if you then acquired an 12.5 and 18mm Orthoscopic these will give you a range of mags on their own and with the barlow, 83x, 119x, 166x, and 239x, the higher powers for when the seeing is exceptionally good, orthoscopics are excellent for Planets the Moon and for splitting double stars etc, HTH.

John.

My purchase of the Revelation kit was made on the recommendation of people here at SGL and I think it was good advice (for me anyway)

It has a good range of eye pieces and filters and has given me ample choice to experiment (still haven't finished) and try things out - nothing has been wasted and I'll probably continue to use it for some time

Also, it saved all that should I shouldn't I buy this EP or not hassle

Personally, as someone just starting out I'm delighted with it.

Hi Lady Merlin,
Why thank you kind sir!:p:D:D

Thanks for the advice John. I have to admit I dithered a lot on the EPs not being sure what to do. The clincher was when my husband, who I thought would never in a million years let me buy the Revelation kit said I should go ahead and buy it. ;) Knowing the way this hobby goes though, I wonder if i will still invest in other EPs later on.

My purchase of the Revelation kit was made on the recommendation of people here at SGL and I think it was good advice (for me anyway)

It has a good range of eye pieces and filters and has given me ample choice to experiment (still haven't finished) and try things out - nothing has been wasted and I'll probably continue to use it for some time

Also, it saved all that should I shouldn't I buy this EP or not hassle

Personally, as someone just starting out I'm delighted with it.

Thanks Darkly. I think the Revelation kit will also be a good buy for me and as you say at least it means I can stop agonising over which EP to buy at the moment.

I feel such a relief having finally made a decision! You guys have all been fantastic and your advice has been very wise and well considered. I hope I have made the right decision, but anyway who cares? The decision has been made and I just need to get on and enjoy my new telescope when it arrives tomorrow. So I am expecting cloudy skies over Surrey for the foreseeable future from tomorrow!:D

So I placed my order today with FLO for: the 127 Supatrak (no GOTO but with tracking), a dew shield and the Revelation EP kit. The nice man at FLO was very patient with me and my repeated phone calls and dithering and offered me some excellent advice.

Tonight I'm going to pop out to Maplins to buy a Power Tank.

I'm going to buy some red nail varnish (not really my style) to paint over an old torch.

Future purchases may include a Light Pollution Filter and a right angled Finderscope but I decided to hold fire on that until I see how it all goes.

Yippeee Can't wait. My kids and hubby are also excited. Just needs some Clear Skies!!

Though I know astrology and the like are frowned on here, I think I see a second-hand 8" dob in my future..., maybe even a 10" :):)

Re: Power supplies

If youre going to Maplins you may as well pick up a PSU for home too, but make sure you get a psu with plenty of headroom for other 12v stuff you might purchace in the future (heating bands, etc). That will save you having to buy another in a years time (like I have to).

Oh, in regard to the powertank - make sure to keep it topped up regularly because if it ever gets 100% depleted then it will be more or less dead (or damaged) forever.

Bet you cant wait to get your hands on it ey? :) Youl be tempted to just plonk it down and rush into it, but in the meantime its a good idea to swat up on polar alignment (it takes a while to get your head round it) and learning a few good reference stars, the first one being Polaris.

You've just got your scope in time for Jupiter - make that your first light. ;)

I did and I'll never forget it, I didn't realise that I'd see four moons as well - just stood looking for what seemed like ages and then ran inside to drag everyone else out for a look :)

knew I was hooked then and there. :p:D:D

Hi Uranium235: You're not wrong about wanting to head straight out and have a good look. I had a look at Jupiter last night with my binos and was able to see some moons, so i can't wait to see what I can see with the 127 MAK. I'm going to pop out tonight to get my bearings with the binos so I am ready to go with the MAK.

That is good advice about the powertank to keep it topped up, I'll have to keep on top of that. Newbie ignorance showing yet again, but what is a psu? Is it a sort of USB hub for power connections?

Hi darkly, I am REALLY looking forward to seeing Jupiter with my MAK. My daughter is also really excited, though she may have to wait a while to get her turn, it is my telescope after all! :):D

Looks like the weather here may become 'more autumnal' over the next few days which is a bit pants, but I'm sure my time will come!

Can't wait!!

Hi darkly, I am REALLY looking forward to seeing Jupiter with my MAK. My daughter is also really excited, though she may have to wait a while to get her turn, it is my telescope after all! ;):D

Looks like the weather here may become 'more autumnal' over the next few days which is a bit pants, but I'm sure my time will come!

Can't wait!!

I assembled everything the afternoon it arrived in the garage (music, beer and manual :)), lifted it outside, threw a cover over it, went back out after tea and simply aimed for Jupiter - no polar alignment, planning or thought (what could go wrong!), best thing I ever did :p:D:D

I've got an old plastic motorcycle stand / beer bottle crate for my son to stand on - does the job nicely.

Just go for it, quick skeg at Stellarium and off you go

Good luck!!!

PSU = Power Supply Unit, in case you want to use it at home in the garden, it should have a minimum rating of 12v @ 5A. Just make sure you have a long enough extention cable (with a built in RCD breaker), and if its really long 240v/13amp like mine it has to be fully unwound otherwise it stands a chance of bursting into flames (although thats unlikely).... safety first!

A good idea if youre using a mains PSU outside is to house it in a waterproof box (mines inside a plastic biscuit box), but a tupperware box or something similar will do.

Ahhh, and a big sturdy box (with handles) that you can chuck eveything into at the end of each session - that will be less trips up/down the garden. It would also serve as a handy little table for your laptop :)

And as Darkly said, use stellarium - it worth its weight in gold!

Thanks Uranium and darkly. A big box sounds ideal Uranium.

Sadly my enthusiasm has had to be tamed a little as I'm not going to get my MAK until tomorrow. I so hope it is NOT clear skies tonight or I am going to be wishing I already had it!!!

Ah well, such is life!

I did however cave in and also order myself a Baader Neodymium Light Pollution Filter. I thought living is such a light polluted area it might help. But that is it! I am buying nothing else now for several weeks at least!! Nope, no sirree, not at all!

Oh and I'm going to download Stellarium today and have a good play with it.

Hi Merlin :)

Im a newbie with a 127 too and its a great scope. The views you will get of Jupiter will absolutely blow you away !

Ive only had mine since may and I'm already finding myself thinking about big dobs but I think my husband would kill me if I buy any more Astro gear.

I keep my ota and mount in a wooden box which was £10 from ikea and the rdf and finder, handset, diagonal etc all live in a £20 flightcase from maplins.

I've got the revelation eyepiece set too but bought it SH for £65 with a baader neodymium filter thrown in so a real bargain but if I'd bought it full price id be just as chuffed.

I'm looking foward to hearing about your first light ;)

But that is it! I am buying nothing else now for several weeks at least!! Nope, no sirree, not at all!

Oh and I'm going to download Stellarium today and have a good play with it.

This is really handy for starting off, means you'll always have something to aim for and know how to get to some of the sights people talk about in the threads.

Turn Left at Orion: A Hundred Night Sky Objects to See in a Small Telescope - and How to Find Them: Amazon.co.uk: Guy Consolmagno, Dan M. Davis: Books

There's people on here swear by this book and quite rightly so - Just tell hubby "You neeeeeed it" :)

darkly, you are a terrible influence. I think I'm going to like you! :DBut I have a small confession to make: I ordered that book yesterday as well!! But as I say that is, absolutley darn tootin'! Hubby already knew about that so all OK!

Worzel, reading your post has made me even more excited (didn't know it was possible!;)). Yes once hubby lets me buy anything else (which may be a long time) I'll have to get some boxes to store it all in.

Can I ask Worzel, what aside from the Revelation EP set and the Baader light polution filter (great buy second hand by the way!) what other kit have you bought and have you found it useful? Not that i am buying anything else at all!

I have a long term plot to buy an 8"dob but like yours my hubby would not be exactly chuffed if I even mentioned the idea at the moment! Still there's always next year....:)

what other kit have you bought and have you found it useful? Not that i am buying anything else at all!

I have a long term plot to buy an 8"dob but like yours my hubby would not be exactly chuffed if I even mentioned the idea at the moment! Still there's always next year....:p

Merlin, Worzsel

Astronomers tips 101

Just buy what you 'need / want', intercept the post, stash aforementioned gear with the rest of your kit (don't forget to hide all packaging and mislay the credit card statement).

If or when discovery seems imminent use the old astronomers favourite "What that! Oh that, I've had that for ages, don't you remember ... here, let me get you another gin..."

You can always rely on SGL for sound advice :D:D:D

There are experts here that do marriage guidance as well. (I think):):headbang:;)

I've not really bought much else tbh I did by an acdc mains adaptor but it was a pain as it kept losing connection and shutting the mount down so I've been using batteries and I've found them fine.

I made a dew shield out of a camping mat which cost me a quid from poundland and then sprayed it black with some car paint but my observing sessions are not normally long enough for dew to cause to many issues as I've got young 2 kids and a night job I just don't have the energy for allnighters.

The most lifechanging perchase was the cheapo baader

Red dot finder from flo for £12 or something. The finder which comes with the 127 was so hard to use I just couldn't get the scope pointed where I wanted it too and the rdf makes that mega easy.

The next thing I buy will be a decent finder, a much bigger one preferably and I'm on the look out for a cheap eq mount, a tal 1 for my 5 year old and inevitably an 10 dob.

Darkly I could probably hide the flo invice from my H I'd have zero chance of hiding a dob.. I don't think 'wow look what I found in a skip' would work somehow

Merlin, Worzsel

Astronomers tips 101

Just buy what you 'need / want', intercept the post, stash aforementioned gear with the rest of your kit (don't forget to hide all packaging and mislay the credit card statement).

If or when discovery seems imminent use the old astronomers favourite "What that! Oh that, I've had that for ages, don't you remember ... here, let me get you another gin..."

You can always rely on SGL for sound advice :p:D:D

There are experts here that do marriage guidance as well. (I think):):headbang:;)

I wish I could do that darkly, really I do. But the sad truth is hubby and I get on very well and I would fell mean doing that to him. The good news is that he is interested in astronomy too and is also looking forward to the telescope coming so hopefully I can persuade him to let me get what I need.

Worzel, 'found it in a skip':D:D I don't think I'd get away with that either and you're right you can't exacty hide a dob!

Yes I wonder if the next thing I get will be a better finder but I'll give it a go first and see how we get on with it.

Thankfully it looks like it is clouding over tonight so I'm not going to feel gutted about not getting my telescope yet!

One day to go!

I've just bought Maplins 5 in 1 power tank as it's on offer at £50.

HeavyDuty 5in1 Jump Starter Free Delivery : InCar Battery Chargers and Compressors : Maplin

17Ah battery, 2 12v outlets and 200W mains inverter too (plus you can start the car after you've inflated the tyres).

It's on its initial charge at the moment. 36Hrs!

Archived