NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Damian Peach's Latest Jupiter at 74 dgrees Alt

AztecastroMcJ

What's so special about Selsey skies ?

I'm about five miles away to the north west as the crow flies (or twice that once I meander down the B2145) and there is a definite "Selsey effect" - very common to see clear skies to the south of me, cloud overhead. It's positioned nicely to avoid both the prevailing wind kicked up by the Isle of Wight and uplift from the South Downs.

Sadly I get both :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now they are using ICX618 or ICX445 based cams. Lumeneras and DMK/DBK/DFK are retreating :)

Erm...if you say so...

But given that almost everyone here thinks Neil and Pete's latest Lumenera and DMK images beat the ones coming from Barbados...i'd hang fire on your "Custers last stand" statement

Guys Damien is a master, To be even mentioned next to him makes me feel awkward. I appreciate those comments, but i dont really share the view. Damiens work is something i aspire too ( Petes too ) well infact all the guys here. The only thing i really would love to do, is try a large ( Celestron ) under good seeing with a good mount, nice cameras ect. So Nicks commets and others just leave me feeling a bit frustrated, as to be able to use equipments like that, is like a dream to me. But one that will always probably remain a dream.

Still im happy that i think im improving. But great seeing with a C14, and great seeing with my 10" the C14 will always win hands down, and Petes images have consistently shown that to be the case. Only when The C14 has bad seeing, and my 10" has good seeing, do the images start to compare. And even then often its a sharpness difference, the resolution will still often be slightly lacking with the 10"

Thats what i think.

Damiens images here are wondeful so natural, so unforced. and the focal length is immense.

I Share Nicks view that some of Petes images recently are looking very comparable to what Damien has been doing in the uk. But thats no surprise because the equipment is comparable and Petes Skill as a lunar and planetary imager is second to none. There both at the very top of this amazing work.

Often i cant choose between them, but we dont have to, lets just appreciate what they are both doing.

I for one, am totally inspired by both of them. Ian sharp too, great imager. and from what ive seen of Dave tylers work ( which is not a lot ) another great imager. i said it before, we really do have some of the most dedicated imagers in this country producing some really exciting stuff

Nick Smiths lunar work is just beautiful. Stefan Slammel too. another totally inspiring master. Anthony wessly really just takes things to a new level too.

Theres so many guys. ED roach with only a 8" sct another master. Chris Go. all these guys show us whats possible if we are interested. and love planetary imaging.

Watch out for what John H does in the coming months on the moon, i think a few are going to be very surprised.

Its all great fun. even talking about it is. Im out of action till next week when ill be using a C gem mount. Seeing was calm here tonight and right at oppossition too. hope Pete got out with those conditions. If so we are all in for a treat.

Anyone Know whats happend to Andy Ellis ive been trying to contact him about the CCD chip Rik mentions but have had no response

Hey i wonder if Celestron would loan me a C14 if promised to push it. and plug it. Maybe get Celestron tattooed on my head as in advertising. you know what. i think it would be worth the price. Yep im suckered into this stuff. My family really tolerate a lot bless them.

I'm about five miles away to the north west as the crow flies (or twice that once I meander down the B2145) and there is a definite "Selsey effect" - very common to see clear skies to the south of me, cloud overhead. It's positioned nicely to avoid both the prevailing wind kicked up by the Isle of Wight and uplift from the South Downs.

Sadly I get both :)

Thanks Ben :)

It's a nice collection of shots, true, but that's what we have come to expect from Damien now anyway.

No disrespect to him but, TBH, I'd much rather look thru the planetary section on this here board and see all the pictures by people just starting out, rather than seeing yet another perfect shot from a 'professional' (or almost professional). It's much more interesting and pleasing to see someone post their first shots and then, over the months, watch them progress.

I think more should be done to encourage those just starting out (and this is something that I'd like to see the POW judges take into consideration as well).

(and this is something that I'd like to see the POW judges take into consideration as well).

I think you will find that the POW judges DO take that sort of thing into account when making their image choice....

Going by the amount of webcams bought by our members recently i can see the judges taking this into consideration even more these days...

I think you will find that the POW judges DO take that sort of thing into account when making their image choice....

Going by the amount of webcams bought by our members recently i can see the judges taking this into consideration even more these days...

:) Yes, I didn't make that clear enough, although we rarely see a 'first shot of...' winning the POW. I'm not criticising, just adding a constructive comment. Perhaps we could see a POW and a Beginner's POW, but this is probably OT and a matter for a different thread?

Guys Damien is a master, To be even mentioned next to him makes me feel awkward. I appreciate those comments, but i dont really share the view. Damiens work is something i aspire too ( Petes too ) well infact all the guys here. The only thing i really would love to do, is try a large ( Celestron ) under good seeing with a good mount, nice cameras ect. So Nicks commets and others just leave me feeling a bit frustrated, as to be able to use equipments like that, is like a dream to me. But one that will always probably remain a dream.

Still im happy that i think im improving. But great seeing with a C14, and great seeing with my 10" the C14 will always win hands down, and Petes images have consistently shown that to be the case. Only when The C14 has bad seeing, and my 10" has good seeing, do the images start to compare. And even then often its a sharpness difference, the resolution will still often be slightly lacking with the 10"

Thats what i think.

Damiens images here are wondeful so natural, so unforced. and the focal length is immense.

I Share Nicks view that some of Petes images recently are looking very comparable to what Damien has been doing in the uk. But thats no surprise because the equipment is comparable and Petes Skill as a lunar and planetary imager is second to none. There both at the very top of this amazing work.

Often i cant choose between them, but we dont have to, lets just appreciate what they are both doing.

I for one, am totally inspired by both of them. Ian sharp too, great imager. and from what ive seen of Dave tylers work ( which is not a lot ) another great imager. i said it before, we really do have some of the most dedicated imagers in this country producing some really exciting stuff

Nick Smiths lunar work is just beautiful. Stefan Slammel too. another totally inspiring master. Anthony wessly really just takes things to a new level too.

Theres so many guys. ED roach with only a 8" sct another master. Chris Go. all these guys show us whats possible if we are interested. and love planetary imaging.

Watch out for what John H does in the coming months on the moon, i think a few are going to be very surprised.

Its all great fun. even talking about it is. Im out of action till next week when ill be using a C gem mount. Seeing was calm here tonight and right at oppossition too. hope Pete got out with those conditions. If so we are all in for a treat.

Anyone Know whats happend to Andy Ellis ive been trying to contact him about the CCD chip Rik mentions but have had no response

Hey i wonder if Celestron would loan me a C14 if promised to push it. and plug it. Maybe get Celestron tattooed on my head as in advertising. you know what. i think it would be worth the price. Yep im suckered into this stuff. My family really tolerate a lot bless them.

well said Neil

just to confirm i didn't post this as any type of comparison with regard to anyones images,

such a comparison with different equip and conditions, location etc would be impossible anyway,

main reason i posted was due to Alt being 74degrees which i hadn't realised was possible this year even in Barbados

Archived