NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Great cluster in hercules

My 102mm refractor will resolve some of the outer stars of M13 on a good night with a decent quality eyepiece at around 100x.

But basically, yes, it does look like a fizzy ball of light, more condensed at the center.

I find that upping the power shows stars to the centre. Around 200X does it . Anything less and you are looking more and more at fuzzy. It needs to be high up on a good night. What's a good night? Try splitting the double double in Lyra. If you can, its a good enough night.

Indeed, M13 takes a fair bit of magnification to bring out individual stars. However, not far away is another superb globular (probably under-observed owing to the proximity of its brighter neighbour), which starts to resolve into stars at a lower magnification -- I refer, of course to M92.

I had a 120mm refractor similar to yours and M13 was pretty much a fuzzy in this. At the same magnifications (maybe 120x) it's 'photographic' in my 12" dob, even from the LP infested skies where I live (between Stockport and Manchester).

If I up the magnification you can resolve stars a long way in and as you move your eye around, effectively creating continuous averted vision, you see lots more appearing.

so, I'd say aperture first and more magnification second are the way to increase the detail on this and many similar objects.

M13 was one of the first objects I tried looking at with my new telescope. In fairly light polluted skies and looking over the house it indeed looked like a fuzzy ball of light through my 130mm scope. I'm sure with better conditions and more practice there is more to be seen.

....I wonder what a 12", or even a 16" Lightbridge, would make of it???

:D

I viewed M13 through a 20" dobsonian at the SGL star party in April - it was :eek: indeed !.

The cluster more or less completely filled the field of view and was resolved to stars (thousands of them !) right to the core.

I'll not forget that view in a hurry :)

My SW150 PL can reveal many of the stars in M13, it has to be one of my fave objects to peer at. I like to describe it as a diamond spangled cauliflower.

Truly a fantastic sight.....

It is. On good nights and at 50x magnification or more I could see the "diamond dust" sprinkled over the fuzzy blob, using my old 6"F/8. The difference with an 8" is stunning, however.

On a good night my 200P shows a lot of stars in M13, both around the edges and towards the core.

I wonder what a 12", or even a 16" Lightbridge, would make of it???

:D

My 200P shows M13 really well too. So many stars well resolved and I got a briefly clear evening the other night where I was able to first view it under low magnification, then move right through all my eyepieces until I'd gotten in to about 250x mag. Still looked beautiful.

Archived