NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Box of delights .....

John

This package arrived on Friday courtesy of First Light Optics :eek:. I'm going to compare examples of Baader Hyperions and their Vixen LVW counterparts, and write up a review for SGL in due course. The focal lengths are 5mm, 8mm, 13mm, 17mm and 22/24mm (There is no 24mm LVW). This will be fun :D:

post-12764-133877481226_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You should write to your MP, being forced into this by retailers :D

I use Hyperions at the moment so am really looking forward to your comments.

Good on yer FLO

I'm chuffed that Steve / First Light Optics have given me the opportunity :eek:

My MP's a bit busy ATM defending his budget - he's Liam Fox !

This is one review i am really looking forward to. I hope John includes such silly detail as price etc.

I'm a convert to Vixen EP's (i have a SINGLE 30mm Vixen NPL). I know the LVW range of EP's are well out of my range so i suspect the Hyperions will also be well out of reach.

Never say never though. One of either every 6 months or so is doable.

I wonder will John post images taken with both.

My 30mm Vixen NPL is the pride and joy of my EP collection.

P.S.~~~NO pressure John to deliver a non-bias review. We await your verdict.

P.P.S~~~~i assume you will include in your review what scope you used etc.

Thanks for the feedback of what you would like to see in the review folks - that's very useful - I'll do my best to include the stuff you have mentioned. Can't do images through the eyepieces though - I'm a visual astronomer only I'm afraid :eek:

It will take a while to compile the report though as I'd like to use different scopes under different observing conditions. Clear patches here at the moment though so I might be able to make a start tonight :D

Thanks for the feedback of what you would like to see in the review folks - that's very useful - I'll do my best to include the stuff you have mentioned. Can't do images through the eyepieces though - I'm a visual astronomer only I'm afraid :eek:

It will take a while to compile the report though as I'd like to use different scopes under different observing conditions. Clear patches here at the moment though so I might be able to make a start tonight :D

We trust you John. No matter what.................me thinks i will be buying a Vixen every 6 month,

I wonder if FLO will give a discount on the whole set, seen as im a repeat customer.

I don't know which makes me more envious!

In your report, can you include the weights (or mass) of each EP? Useful info for Dobbers....

Yep I'll do that - balance is pretty important for dobs / alt-az mount users :D

I do like my Hyperions very much. Plenty around for them to be very reasonable secondhand (all mine are secondhand, bought off SGL members). I now have the 8mm, the 13mm, and the 21mm.

Used them last night (what a fabulous night for viewing!) in the 200p Dob, and didn't have any balance issues, the 'friction handle thingy' (advanced technical term No. 418 b-iii) coped fine. :)

The 8mm 2 x Barlow'd fine for 300 x mag on Jupiter! :eek: (as an aside, the Skywatcher Deluxe 2 x Barlow worked surprisingly well)

Despite having the tuning rings, I am tempted now to slowly add the 5mm, the 17mm and the 24mm, at some point.

I like the views, I like the contrast with them, and the eye relief works well for me (the 21mm was a little 'different' in this regard to the 13mm and the 8mm, but I quickly adjusted and it's ok), they suit me nicely. :D

Really looking forward to this review John. B)

I am curious about the LVW (had a few LVs in the past). When upgrading I went for the Burgess TMB Paragon 40mm (which is a stunner) rather than the (rather more expensive) 42mm LVW. I am curious how the others hold up.

I'm curious too - I owned a 22mm LVW for a short time a couple of years ago and thought it very nice but I'd set my heart on a 24mm Panoptic so it was sold to fund that. When I got the Panoptic, I can recall thinking that, for the additional investment, it provided very little in the way of improvement over the 22mm LVW - which is a compliment to the LVW of course :D

The only Hyperion I've used in the past was the 3.5mm which I recall worked rather well but seemed a monsterous size for a 3.5mm !.

Archived