Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Newbie From Donny

REB

Hi,

Thought I would pop in and introduce myself after lurking for a couple of weeks or so. My wife and I have been watching too many Discovery Channel Documentaries on the Universe, Solar System and several points in between.

The outcome of this was that I was tasked by SWMBO to scour the Internet for all things Astronomy related. Naturally, I found you lot hanging around in this cosy lounge and decided to glean some info and see where to start on this possible new hobby.

We took advantage of FLO's cheap deal on the Celestron 15 x 70 binos that was running last month. Unfortunately, I think I received a pair that got knocked around a bit during delivery (I know FLO check each pair before despatch) as I was seeing a double image in the night sky and it was rather annoying to say the least. I tried all sorts to resolve the issue but decided to send them back. I must add that FLO (especially Martin) have been brilliant throughout the transaction from start to finish.

So with the Celestrons being sent back, we have a pair of Helios Quantum 4 15 x 70 and a pair of Naturesport 10 x 50 arriving tomorrow.

A friend has also loaned us a pair of old Tento GNUS 10 x 50 binos that belonged to her late father. Made in the USSR, they are built as you would expect and give a very nice, sharp (IMO) picture. We were genuinely amazed at how much more one can see through binos compared with the naked eye - even here on the southern edge of Doncaster.

I'm not sure yet if we are going to go down the telescope route just yet - I think we'll see how we get on with the binos first.

Anyway, thanks for listening - sorry about the long introduction.

REB

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Reb,

A very warm welcome to SGL to you both, quite a wise decision to use bino`s to start with, to help you find your way about the night sky you can download the free program Stellarium, we also have a binocular section you can visit, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

Hi Reb,

A very warm welcome to SGL to you both, quite a wise decision to use bino`s to start with, to help you find your way about the night sky you can download the free program Stellarium, we also have a binocular section you can visit, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

Thanks for the welcome glowjet. I have been playing with Stellarium for a week or so now and it is helping tremendously - just used it to identify the 3 moons hanging out on the left of Jupiter. The first time we saw this planet last week through binos with her moons was probably the most amazing thing ever.

I have also browsed through the various forums - the bino viewing particularly.

As people keep pointing out, there is a lot of good info on this forum, most of which I can't comprehend at all - but I'll get there slowly but surely.

Hi Reb,

A warm welcome to SGL. Binoculars are a brilliant way of finding your way around the night sky, and even though I usually use a telescope, I love just sitting out with the bins just taking in the starfields. I hope you enjoy the forum. You'll find lots of friendly people ready and willing to help you get started.

Hi Reb and welcome to the forum.

I have a feeling that you'll be looking at telescopes in the very near future, not because the binos prove disappointing but because they will introduce you to subjects that will make you want to take a closer look - that's what happened to me.

Wishing you clear skies for your observing!

James

Thank you all for your warm welcome.

The new binos arrived today so hoping for clears skies over Donny this evening :D. Currently it's alternating between sunshine and rain - sometimes both at the same time :eek:.

We took a trip over to Rother Valley Optics yesterday, just to have a look you understand but also to buy a red dot finder for the binos. I have mounted it with the 15 x 70's on my Manfrotto tripod and it will certainly help with pinpointing what I am looking at with my naked eye.

Whilst looking around in RVO, I was surprised at the actual size of some of the 'scopes they have in stock. I would be hard pushed to find somewhere to keep one safe - unless I evict one (or both) of my sons and commandeer their bedroom(s)

Thanks again all.

Hi,

Thank you all again for your warm welcome. I'm really starting to feel right at home in here...

Reb, welcome from north Hampshire :-)

Whilst I live in Doncaster, I'm originally from Hampshire myself - Southampton where my Mum still resides. We'll be down there for a couple of days next month. We'll be taking the binos and heading out to The New Forest somewhere looking for a dark site - assuming clear skies of course.

Thanks again.

Archived