Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My eyepiece collection including a 21mm Ethos

Kef9

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even the 31mm? Or does that one only come in 2"?

The 17mm and 21mm Ethoi are 2" only. The 31mm Nagler is 2" only.

They need to be that format to allow a field stop wide enough to deliver the 100" degree field of view.

• 2 months later...

I thought this thread was dead.

I'll post a new piccy showing my latest setup soon. :D

TV are the business. I'm looking to add a 5mm pentax XO and an 8mm ethos still and then I might be done.

Thanks for all the great comments guys!

I just bought myself a Pentax XO to add to the collection. I've been hoping one would show up for months but to no avail. They never seem to turn up used so I just had to buy new in the end.

I wondering if I should ditch the powermate? I used to use it quite alot but now it seems to get less use? :) I don't use it with the 21mm ethos and 31mm nagler because I feel the weight is just too much. I mainly use it with the 13mm ethos but thats about it really.

..I wondering if I should ditch the powermate? I used to use it quite alot but now it seems to get less use? :) I don't use it with the 21mm ethos and 31mm nagler because I feel the weight is just too much. I mainly use it with the 13mm ethos but thats about it really.

I considered a Powermate to use with my Ethe but I decided to stick with the Antares 1.6x 2" as it's excellent optically and less than half the weight of the Powermate.

I don't use it with the 13mm Ethos as I have the 8mm but used with that and the 6mm I get 5mm and 3.75mm which covers all my needs.

am I correct that the Antares Barlow only comes in a thumbscrew and not compression fitting? this is the main thing that put me off (other than simplicity) and means I prefer the EP only route.

Mine has 2 thumbscrews (quite fat ones) in the 2" fitting. I could swap them for nylon thumbscews but so far they don't appear to have marked the 2" Ethos barrels. I reckon the 2 thumscrew approach spreads the pressure so reduces the chance of damage.

That, said I'd prefer a compression ring fitting if I have a choice but I don't reckon changing the £30 (used) Antares barlow for a £215 2x Powermate for that reason alone makes sense !. The 2x ratio wouldn't be useful with my scopes either.

My focusers don't have compression rings and so the 2" diagonal has been destroyed. You must have been very careful not to cause damage. I would put some sort of rubber or tape over the ends if it was me.

... You must have been very careful not to cause damage...

I'm very careful with my eyepieces - although I've always felt a few light marks on the barrels of eyepieces are just part of normal use - even compression rings will leave some faint marking.

Just don't look through one because if you do the craving will start and never end! :)

My bank balance has been destroyed but they are for life at the end of the day so I think they are a wise investment. Scopes can come and go but quality eyepieces remain (or at least I like to think so to justify this stupidity!)

Archived