Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bargain Watch

OXO

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chap's,

Found a bargain and half today after i was looking for the best prices for a Baader Planetarium

Neodymium Moon and Skyglow Filter 31.7mm .

Best price i could find was from http://www.swoptics.co.uk/view.asp?KEY=1133 for 26gbp inc Postage. For all you 2" user's there only 35gbp inc delivery :shock:.

This place has some great prices i got my 8" reflector and Heq5 mount from here for 519gbp inc delivery very fast and friendly service too.

James

Found a bargain and half today after i was looking for the best prices for a Baader Planetarium Neodymium Moon and Skyglow Filter 31.7mm.

Sorry James but £26 is the regular price for that filter. 

David Hinds is the official UK importer of Baader Planetarium products; heres a link to his site:

http://tinyurl.com/awn67

As for the telescope, that is a good price though not that unusual (I suspect it to drop further in time). 

Steve :)

Hi Steve,

I stand corrected on the Filter price :), although i couldnt find a better price for the Skywatcher 8" reflector and Heq5 mount.

The prices of astro gear are just getting better and better esp the lower end item's dont you think? imagine an 8" reflector being so cheap 10 years ago...

Cheers

James :)

The prices of astro gear are just getting better and better esp the lower end item's dont you think? imagine an 8" reflector being so cheap 10 years ago...

I couldn't agree more and, Dobsonians aside, the Skywatcher 200 (8") with EQ5 is possibly the best starter scope available this year - metal tube, parabolic mirror, wafer-thin spider, 1.25/2" focuser, good size finder-scope and a solid mount that can be upgraded with polar-scope and motors.  Although, a couple of the Tals ought to be considered too IMHO. 

I was very happy with my Bargin scope this year.

8" Orion Optics Europa f6 with EQ5 mount , 2 eyepieces and a polar scope. £399.00 all in. :)

When I was looking at getting this scope it was between the this and the skywatcher. Both are great scopes for the money :)

8" Orion Optics Europa f6 with EQ5 mount , 2 eyepieces and a polar scope. £399.00 all in. :)

Nice scope Lunator and a good price.  Interesting that it was supplied with an EQ5 ... I'm guessing that it didn't come from Orion Optics? 

Nice scope Lunator and a good price. Interesting that it was supplied with an EQ5 ... I'm guessing that it didn't come from Orion Optics?

Steve

I bought it direct from Orion Optics. It was under their 'special offer' page on the Web site.

http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/acatalog/Offers.html

It looks like they are still available.

Rgds

Ian

.... what's the impact on warranty?

The following is my own personal opinion:

A grey import is where something is sourced from outside the UK bypassing the official UK importer. 

But consider what an importer does: They supply dealers and support them with training, a technical dept and repair facilities so that if a customers camera were to become faulty within the warranty period he knows that both the dealer and importer are on his side - he is in safe hands. 

Staff training, a technical dept and a repair facility are expensive.  So how do you think the UK importer will feel if somebody buys a camera from God knows where and then wants them to look after him. 

Initially, the manufacturers collectively said 'on yer bike' but then someone took one of them to court and it was decided that the customer is allowed to 'have their cake and eat it'.  Of course, this doesn't stop them putting you at the end of a long queue while they look after their own!  There are other ways a manufacturer can favour goods purchased from official dealers.  For example, the lens manufacturer Sigma will upgrade several of thier earlier lenses to work with modern digital SLRs and charge only postage if the customer can prove it was purchesed from an official dealer. 

So, as things stand today, if you do buy a grey import online (they are almost always sold online) and need to claim under warranty...  Phone the UK importer direct and see what their policy is, if necessary remind them that they must accept it as a warranty and ask their advice about packing and insurance during transit, which is now your responsibility.  Be prepared to chase it regularly!  Lastly, don't try to coerce your local dealer into looking after you - he will have his own customers to consider. 

I guess its a bit like investments; it depends on your attitude to risk. 

Thats the original EQ5 head/tripod setup, which explains the bargain price - Orion Optics now sell the Europas on Vixen GPE mounts.

Thats not to say you haven't got a good setup there Ian :)

Steve

I know that the EQ5 isn't in the same league as the vixen but if you can't afford the £600+ for the vixen + Europa set-up this is a great compromise.

£ per inch this deal is hard to beat :)

I know that the EQ5 isn't in the same league as the vixen but if you can't afford the £600+ for the vixen + Europa set-up this is a great compromise.

I agree, totally. 

The money saved could go towards a replacement tripod as others on this forum have done - if you need more stability - and you'd still have money left-over to put towards another eyepiece or a 1x finder. 

I think you got a good deal there. 

Archived