Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sunspot Photo is Most Detailed Ever

Euan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had a 1.6m scope with AO I dont think it'd be pointed at the sun much ;)

Great pic, and great testimony to the quality produced every week by the members of SGL, the line between Pro and Amateur is being blurred all the time.

That sunspot does look to me like a huge rock has just slammed into the sun and caused the stuff to burst out. I know it hasn't, it just looks that way :mad:

Great pic, and great testimony to the quality produced every week by the members of SGL

It wasn't taken by the OP.

"The stunning picture was taken using the Big Bear Telescope in California..."

(quote taken from text of linked article).

to me it looks like a hole, is that right?

I think so. The darker region in the image is a spot that is MUCH cooler then the surface area and to me it looks like the surrounding HOT "Plasma" is being sucked into the cooler part.

Is that correct?

Is the hotter outer surface being "sucked" into the cooler spot?

Detailed images of sunspots always remind me of van Gogh's sunflowers. ;)

Me too. I have heard before that artistic masters such as Van Gogh actually were genius'[ (like Albert E) and used about 90% of their brain power to display,explain the world around them as they saw it.

Our tiny little brain can not even start to comprehend the shear size of the universe. Its vastness is WAY above us.

Humans at best only use about 10% of their brain capacity.

What the hell is the other 90%

doing?

Eastenders/X Factor/Big Brother etc etc....

Amazing pic btw.

It wasn't taken by the OP.

"The stunning picture was taken using the Big Bear Telescope in California..."

(quote taken from text of linked article).

Thanks Carol, but you missed my point entirely. The picture is beautiful, but it isn't a million miles from what Pete Lawrence, Nick Smith and Nick Howes produce, to mention just a few. The image linked to by Nick exemplifies the quality of work by amateurs.

Besides, if it was the OP who had taken it, I'd have had to move it to the imaging section ;)

Cheers

TJ

mesmerizing. I would love to see a 3D image to get a perspective of depth / height. You just feel that there is so much information locked up in photos like that. I mean the way some of the filaments in the outer structure are bulbous and some brighter at the inner part and then thin out and get less bright. What's that all about??

Flattered as I think Nick, Pete and I are TJ by your very kind words, I do think the amateurs, whilst not a million miles away have obviously not the aperture to compete with this.. what I would like to prove/try though, (and part of my mission to Palomar was to try this) would be what would happen if an amateur using an amateur camera (with appropriate FOV) were let loose with amateur software at one of the big observatories, what they could produce..

The pro's working on Hubble images obviously know what they are doing with that data.. be interesting to see what someone like Pete or Nick would be capable of with a high end Lumenera Infinity 3-1 with something like the adaptive optics systems coming (Palm3000) on Palomar

Archived