NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is it Me?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno, what harm does it do? If you buy second hand you can have a free trial and sell a scope on and be that little bit more informed?

IMHO theres plenty of "in the field" posts, it's just that when someone gets a new scope it a big deal to them so they post about it and maybe don't bother to post about looking a Mars (again!) with their old scope?

Is it just me...............or do others feel the same??

Thats is a good point BD and I tend to agree.  But, it is only normal and is not necessarily a problem.  Most astronomers will admit to having a fascination and appreciation of the practical and scientific aspects of the equipment used.  For some, it is as much a part of thier hobby as actual observation ... I don't have a problem with that. 

Steve :)

PS: BTW, my excuse - if I need one - is that I spend most of my working day around astro kit but as a new parent I find it increasingly difficult to actually observe!

For some, it is as much a part of thier hobby as actual observation ...

What Steve said sums it up for me. In a nutshell, due to the weather, family life, work and just a general lack of observing time swapping kit makes the hobby a lot more enjoyable through the huge lulls. It's pretty close to being the most enjoyable aspect. Oh and I envy Steve bigtime being around kit all day long.....the swine!

If you buy second hand you can have a free trial and sell a scope on and be that little bit more informed?

This is what makes it possible. You can buy and sell without any real loss financially, providing you stick to secondhand stuff. Can't see any harm to it. Perhaps some bits don't a real chance to shine before I sell. While some bits are so obviously not right that i have no qualms in selling it on the day after i bought it. Perhaps I should start a thread on what we've bought and why we sold it.

not enough on using it in the field

You're right Andy, we should talk more about out experiences with all aspects of our kit. That would be of help to others. Perhaps I'll start with the C8.

Regards

Russ

imo equipment is not to much of an issue as long as your happy with the equipment you have, like for instance 50$ USA, plossl eyepeices can be just as good as 500$ plossl eyepeices really. you may get better views with the 500$ peices, but in comparison, there isnt to much of a differance.

prices is allways an issue when it comes to astronomical equipment, basicly this is why alot of people have a dob, over a cassigrain.

and allso another reason why people who can make telescopes do so, its alot cheaper to doit, and theres a huge degree of satisfaction, and having your scope to your intentions.

This shows how much of a dinosaur I am............... but I've basically had the same equipment for the last 14 years............an 11" SCT Ultima & ST4 autoguider. Never felt inclined to change it. Am I getting old???...............

This shows how much of a dinosaur I am............... but I've basically had the same equipment for the last 14 years............an 11" SCT Ultima & ST4 autoguider. Never felt inclined to change it. Am I getting old???...............

Perhaps it age, wisdom and contentment?

not enough on using it in the field

You're right Andy, we should talk more about out experiences with all aspects of our kit. That would be of help to others. Perhaps I'll start with the C8.

Now we're talking :)

Only four topics on the Equipment Review board :nono: 

Don't be shy chaps; post a few lines about the kit you use!

I suppose i,m like Andy really , having been through changing scopes, i have finally, setttled down, with what i have ,and dont need to talk much on the equipment side, as far as scopes go, however the imaging side , ie camera,s and filters etc are more of an interest to me, being the end result , the final picture . is my main interest, the viewing side i left behind a few years ago ,the main on here use digital camera,s so i feel a bit left out lol, prob why i dont talk much on this subject, but hopefully as the forum grows and ppl come on with a more variety of cameras etc , there will be more to talk about, as there is no end of minor problems when starting out using the ole CCD , along with the processing etc, Geeze hope i,m not boring you guys here .,Cheers

Rog

I suppose i,m like Andy really , having been through changing scopes, i have finally, setttled down, with what i have ,and dont need to talk much on the equipment side, as far as scopes go, however the imaging side , ie camera,s and filters etc are more of an interest to me, being the end result , the final picture . is my main interest, the viewing side i left behind a few years ago ,the main on here use digital camera,s so i feel a bit left out lol, prob why i dont talk much on this subject, but hopefully as the forum grows and ppl come on with a more variety of cameras etc , there will be more to talk about, as there is no end of minor problems when starting out using the ole CCD , along with the processing etc, Geeze hope i,m not boring you guys here .,Cheers

Rog

Hi Rog as i am just starting out in the CCD side of things you will be hearing all the beginner questions

soon enough.

These questions will be more directed at the processing side of things.

If i ever get out with my cam the questions will follow.

nah man thats astronomical equipment for ya, they never do really change much over time, hell we are still using the basic newtonian reflectors created by isac newton, and how old is that thing? over 2000 years old, and we are still using the exact same design.

over 2000 years old, and we are still using the exact same design.

or even 200!!! :)

Big Dipper - we've all seen the results of your 'old' kit and I don't think anyone would argue over the results it produces :)

Perhaps the consolidations that russ has made to the boards will help discussions flow a little easier ???

daz

Most astronomers will admit to having a fascination and appreciation of the practical and scientific aspects of the equipment used. For some, it is as much a part of thier hobby as actual observation ... I don't have a problem with that.

I'm most likely on the outside here, but I think the distinction needs to be made. Amateur astronomers tend to obsess with the equipment side of the hobby. The more serious amateurs that I know, and all of the pros I know think nothing of the equipment, and are only interested in the results obtained, be it scientific spectra or astrophotos. They care no more about the brand or focal length or toys attached than they do about what time of night it was obtained. A one meter telescope returns results, same as an 8 meter. Woodworkers care not whether it was a Makita saw or a Sears saw, as long as the piece works well and is pleasing.

At the risk of being shunned, I admit, I open the equipment forums and mark them as read, even though I don't read any.

Most astronomers will admit to having a fascination and appreciation of the practical and scientific aspects of the equipment used. For some, it is as much a part of thier hobby as actual observation ... I don't have a problem with that.

Quote from Astroman:

I'm most likely on the outside here, but I think the distinction needs to be made. Amateur astronomers tend to obsess with the equipment side of the hobby. The more serious amateurs that I know, and all of the pros I know think nothing of the equipment, and are only interested in the results obtained... 

I don't have a problem with that either 8)

Quote from Astroman:

I'm most likely on the outside here, but I think the distinction needs to be made. Amateur astronomers tend to obsess with the equipment side of the hobby. The more serious amateurs that I know, and all of the pros I know think nothing of the equipment, and are only interested in the results obtained..

Surely though, one affects the other?

Surely though, one affects the other?

Certainly. But pros will gear their telescope time requests to equipment that will give them the best results. They could care less how it operates. In fact, most pros I know barely know how any telescope works, and many have not even looked through a telescope in years. Brian Skiff is an exception to the rule, but his is also a unique position, what with Lowell being a private observatory.

I had a conversation with a professional astronomer on the plane to Marshall Space Flight Center once. We got to talking and he told me he was jealous of me for having the opportunity to look through a scope any time I wanted to! He spent several minutes looking wistfully out the window after I'd told him of my Messier Marathon results, or using the Clarke Refractor at Lowell. It set me back a spell. This man routinely, routinely was accepted for time on Keck, HST and other huge scopes I couldn't dream of. But you know what? You can't LOOK through them!

This man routinely, routinely was accepted for time on Keck, HST and other huge scopes I couldn't dream of. But you know what? You can't LOOK through them!
Sounds Daft but i would rather use a small telescope and experience the night sky visually rather than the synthetics of say the HST. Sure i would never get images anything like these but that romance of looking through the scope is number one for me.

JAMES :)

Sounds Daft but i would rather use a small telescope and experience the night sky visually rather than the synthetics of say the HST.

And this is my, (rather circuitous) point exactly, James. I'd much rather look through a scope than talk about it. Or add to it. Get full use out of what you have before you upgrade.

I have seen your point Astroman, i upgraded my main scope a while back after i had seen everything i could many time's and wanted to upgrade/change my telescope for differant views be it wider or more Magnification. Shame the refractor i had was just too big for me as it did offer some splendid views but alas if i wasn't happy using it then it had to go. For me now the New Mak i bought is perfect small yet powerfull but more importantly it will get used.

Having said this it's great to be able to share experiences of your Telescope's and what you think of them and the same goes for Camera's etc etc.If i can sell a scope to get a better one of which offers better views for my preference then i will and thus the upgrading begins again..IMHO of course.

JAMES

James :)

... pros will gear their telescope time requests to equipment that will give them the best results. They could care less how it operates. In fact, most pros I know barely know how any telescope works, and many have not even looked through a telescope in years...

As I see it, pro astronomers view indirectly and in false colour - UV, IR, X-Ray, radio, whatever produces the most useful information. 

By comparison, my interest in astronomy is simplistic: It is a hobby, I view directly and in natural light.  I also get a buzz from knowing the light has traveled enormous distances before expelling its energy at my eye.  Believe it or not, I actually enjoy setting up and using a telescope and experimenting with the different types; each offers a different viewing experience.  Astroman, I also find what you are doing with that new mirror polisher fascinating ... a 16" Newtonian under a clear, dark sky :)

Well said, that man. Simplistic as it seems, I'm dead chuffed to see the 4 see-able moons of Jupiter, and the rings of Saturn, at whatever magnification. I can boast to my family " I've seen that" etc etc, even though they call me a sad old git. But, when I volunteer some info about the planets/milkyway/constellations, they are agog with interest. And when the 'scope or bino's come out, they all clamour for a view. I could have some future skywatchers on hand!!

Archived