Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it Me?

And this is my, (rather circuitous) point exactly, James. I'd much rather look through a scope than talk about it. Or add to it. Get full use out of what you have before you upgrade.

Those options arn't mutually exclusive, they are not 'or's, you can do all those things with a scope, doing one doesn't stop you doing any of the others.

I don't agree with the implication that if you buy/discuss new gear it means that you arn't using what you've got? If you can buy a scope secondhand try it out and sell it on if it's not for you, then whats the harm in making a post about your opinions on a forum?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a case of, even though it is a pretty small population hobby, there are still lots of ways to appreciate the sky, digital or traditional cameras, binoculars, with your eyes, it really boils down to whatever makes you happy is the right thing for you.

I can imagine that I will get quite into the equipment side of things because I quite like toys :) I can already forsee the arguments with my gf about buying new stuff :)

I'm not at all suggesting that trading up or improving your equipment is in any way a bad thing. All i'm saying is, it's not the only thing. Many I know spend most of their time equipment hopping and very little actually letting ancient photons land on their retinae. Myself, I'm not that interested in all the tiny details of every piece of equipment available to amateurs. The array is daunting! I've got plenty of "stuff" to keep me busy for quite some time. The only upgrade I see in my future is the 16" F/5, and that's mostly for science. (Of course, I'll be "WOW"ing others with it in between GRB's!):)

Archived