Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue 3.7mm Ethos SX 110° Eyepiece Ordered

Televue 3.7mm Ethos SX 110° Eyepiece

Well I've gone and done it. I've ordered the 3.7mm Ethos SX from Stayfocused and it's due in the second week of September. Televue said it would be a limited release in September and they weren't kidding. Albert at Stayfocused told me he was only getting in 4 of them and he'd ordered 12, but now one of them has got my name on it. :)

It should be an amazing planetary/lunar eyepiece. I'm just trying to imagine the views through my 14" dob with it. :)

• Model: 3.7mm Ethos-SX 110 (Simulator eXperience)
  • Apparent field: 110°
  • Focal length: 3.7mm
  • Effective field stop diameter: 7.04mm
  • Eye relief: 15mm (accepts DIOPTRX eyesight astigmatism corrector)
  • Weight: 1.10 lbs / 17.7 oz.; 2" adapter/stand: 2 oz.
  • Price (similar to 10mm Ethos) includes 2" adapter
  • Availability: Limited deliveries September, 2010.

John

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find that the 3.5mm Nagler does a great job on the moon in the 14" so the 3.7 should be just right.

Sounds great - for me 3.5mm is usually bigger but no better than a 5mm as i'm seeing-limited by the coast on all but a few nights. I love a 5mm Nagler on the Moon though, so the SX Ethos does sound fun...

Sounds real nice John and well done getting your name down against one of those initial 4.

The SX wouldn't be much use to me, 3.5mm would be too much for my scope. Very few nights i could use 434x. A 6mm Ethos would be spot on.

I've been keeping an eye on these as well - I'll be very interested to hear how it performs John. The conundrum for me (as with others I guess) would be justifying the cost for an eyepiece might not get used as much as it deserves especially as I've the Nagler T6 3.5mm which, when the opportunity arises, does a pretty good job in that "niche".

Then again the views through the Ethos 13 and 8 are pretty hypnotic ........:)

Congrats on getting the order in :)

Fortunately I've got three scopes that I frequently use the 3.5mm Nagler with so the 3.7 SX should be ideal. I've also been able to use the 2.5mm Nagler on some nights.

A 6mm Ethos balowed to 4mm gave me the best views of Plato that I've ever had so I suppose I could consider that a test run for the 3.7.

John

P.S.

Apparently pre-orders for the 3.7 SX have taken Televue by surprise and they have far more orders than they can handle.

nice one John.

this will be superb for lunar in the dob. I know you've been itching to get your hands on one of these for a long time. :)

I find the Nagler zoom pretty good around this mark but usually more toward 4-4.5 and up. Russ, it might be worth trying a shorter FL eyepiece on the moon with the dob if you've not had chance yet as I was very surprised how good the Nagler is even at 3mm.

not sure I'lll be buying the Ethos 3.7 though myself either :)

I don't understand the Ethos 3.7mm, not that I'm rich enough to buy one! With a 3.7mm foacl length, the eyepiece can only be used in very small telescopes, surely?

Do you mean short? The 3.7mm FL affects the magnification, the size of the objective or mirror has little bearing other than whether the resolution is acceptable.

I don't understand the Ethos 3.7mm, not that I'm rich enough to buy one! With a 3.7mm foacl length, the eyepiece can only be used in very small telescopes, surely?

It will get plenty of use in this "little" scope. ;)

I have several scopes that I use a 3.5mm Nagler in so the 3.7 should be just about right.

John

Tele Vue have always catered well for fast scopes, with the exeception of their plossl range which stops at 8mm.

You can have a Nagler T6 down to 2.5mm, a Radian 3mm, a 2mm-4mm Nagler zoom and now the Ethos SX. I would not be suprised if a 2.8mm or similar was somewhere in the pipeline.

I agree a 5mm would be awesome but it's possibly a bit close to the 3.7mm and the 6mm? I have used my Nagler zoom all the way down to 3mm on the moon with my dob at about 530x. the seeing was good to excellent in short bursts and it's worth it to have this magnification. I tend to agree that it's a lot of cash for occasional use although I suspect with John's optics (1/10PV and HILUXed), these magnifications will be achievable more often the most 'mortal scopes'.

I'm tempted by one of these but then I think if I buy an 8mm ethos then that will be much more useful and I can always powermate it to 4mm which is pretty much the same.

110 degrees is very tempting though its hard to see all of 100 degrees. Your eye can only take in so much.

110 degrees is very tempting though its hard to see all of 100 degrees. Your eye can only take in so much.

Well... You're not meant to "see" it - in the traditional sense. The main mistake people make with the Ethos is trying to look around. The idea is that you just look dead-ahead and forget about the rest. Your peripheral vision soaks it all up, and it makes it feel like there's no eyepiece there. However, I agree that it's clearly designed for small refractors - a nice fit for (say) a 100mm triplet @ F7

Do you mean short? The 3.7mm FL affects the magnification, the size of the objective or mirror has little bearing other than whether the resolution is acceptable.

It has quite a lot of bearing on the issue. "Small" is perfectly apt, since you're unlikely to get anything "faster" than F5 in a refractor as it's undesireable, the objective will - by necessity - be smaller if the tube is short.

• 3 weeks later...

Update

I will be receiving my 3.7mm Ethos SX eyepiece early next week. :eek::hello2::)

Albert at Stayfoused just let me know that he will be receiving TWO of the eyepieces from Televue this Friday or Monday. As I'm getting the first one that leaves one whole eyepiece for the rest of the UK B) He did say he was hoping to get some more soon but had no delivery date.

Now to go check the weather forecast for next week......:D

John

Archived