Hi from New York

ykket

Hi All,

I just came arcoss this site earlier today and boy am I impressed with what I've seen. I have been a fan of astronomy for a quite some time but never really acted upon it. I have an old Celestron 4.5" Newtonian telescope (that's what it said on the side) that I am going to mess around with until I have some time to purchase a new one. Hopefully this will become my new hobby!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all, I'm excited to get into this! Once I get some time this weekend hopefully i'll take the Celestron out and see what kind of order it's in (I have a feeling I need a new eye piece).

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've spent some time practicing my observing skills with a near identical scope and I was pleasantly surprised at want I saw. Possibly more aperture is essential in the longer term if you are wanting to resolve certain deep sky objects and nebulosity but you will certainly be having some fun in the meantime, especially with the moon and planets!. Let us know what you've been observing recently and how you've got on finding your targets.

Clear skies

James

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Many years ago I spent about 3 months living in Queens and I can say the LP in New York is worse then in London, you will have to head out to darker skies.

Hi ykket and welcome.

Are you from New York State or New York city? If the latter, you'll have to head out from the city to do much Astronomy.

I started out with a scope similar to yours and it's a good starter scope, I got some good views of the brighter objects, but soon found I needed a motorised set up.

Enjoy.

Carole

I live out on Long Island, not in the actual city. I have a friend who has a permit to take his truck out onto the beach at night. We went out last Saturday and it was crystal clear. With the naked eye we saw a few satellites, Jupiter ( I believe) and some shooting stars. It's what kick started my interest again so I figured I would start with what I have and then work my way up to something better.

Archived