Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Dob Has Landed!

Space Beagle

OO, that's a chunky bit of kit :p

Hope you enjoy your views, I found the dob really easy to use but then opted to mount it on an EQ6 for astrophotography. But now wish I had another dob as it's easier to shift about than that bloomin heavy eq6 :)

I decided to make one for a couple of reasons, the 200P with finders and EPs is right on the limit of the load capacity of my EQ5, in theory that is - it actually seems quite stable enough for visual work for me! The other reason is the newest addition to the collection, the Mak 180 Pro, which is much happier on the EQ5!

The 'flower pots' are actually pvc end stops (for drain pipes I think) and Wilko's only had that colour, i'll be looking out for some black ones soon!

I won't mention the Val Doonican LP that ive used as part of the base bearing..Hehe!

Doc

The more I look at this the more I want to build one too.

I've been put off by the need to cut a semi circle into the base where the scope will rest. The V-cut you used looks a lot easier and more encouraging... Is there any drawbacks of doing it this way?

Geez Guys!

Thanks for the comments, he he! I wouldn't class myself as very skilled with this sort of thing, which is why I tried to keep it as simple as possible! I would certainly encourage anyone to have a go at making something similar and will gladly share any hints and tips I can, as others already do on SGL!

I read on a couple of designs that I found on the Internet that it doesn't really make any difference if the altitude bearing cut outs are semi-circular or just a 60 degree triangle cut out like mine, I guess the semi-circular ones do look a bit better - but I don't have a router or very good jigsaw skills, so was quite happy to do it this way!

I'm just putting on a little shelf thingy at the front for EPs and bits n bobs and also making a simple friction brake out of stuff in the shed - not sure if it'll work well, but i'll give it a go!

I'll put up another couple of piccies when done!

Doc

Archived