Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

So frustrating...

JamesK

So I went out last night at around midnight for what looked like the only clear night for a good month and a half, and the only one I've been able to get out in since May. The sky was good and dark and I could just about make out the outline of the Milky Way. I had a good look at Alberio and Jupiter, and was homing in on M13 when the clouds rolled over and stayed put. Total time 25 minutes. I'd love to post more on SGL but I'm afraid I don't have much to talk about! It's got to be a plus for binos and portable setups, I think I'd go mad if I had had a scope of any size or expense.

Still, I don't start college for another month, so hopefully we'll get some clear nights in August, hopefully around the meteor showers...

I'd love to post more on SGL but I'm afraid I don't have much to talk about!

That doesn't stop the rest of us! Plenty of annoying clouds to talk about :)

I know what you mean, promising clear skies can suddenly change and ruin everything. However, there is a flip side and last week a cloudy forecast turned into an entire night of wonderfully clear skies. So keep you head up!

I went to bed approx 1.00am, had a last look just in case, total cloud cover. Fell asleep quickly as I was tired. woke up at 3.20am, nature call, (I must reduce my evening tea consumption), did the biz,had a peek out of the window, and lo and behold, clear as a bell.

The waning crescent moon looked fantastic, Jupiter shining like a new bob coin. Should I risk it? Nah!, I'll only spoil it if I do, I would only reach the Obsy door when it would be blacked out again.:)

Ron.

There was a nice stetch of 3 or 4 clear nights here last Summer. I'm hoping something similar might happen this year! It's an area of high pressure we're looking for, isn't it?

There was a nice stetch of 3 or 4 clear nights here last Summer. I'm hoping something similar might happen this year! It's an area of high pressure we're looking for, isn't it?

How depressing is that when we have to talk about a stretch of clear nights that happened a year ago.

I squandered the best clear sky I have seen here for weeks - I could clearly see the band of the Milky Way.

Why did I squander it - my 50mm focal length lens to camera interface must have been slightly out of kilter and there was a steady increase in coma visible from just past half the frame outwards to the right in every frame - that will teach me to concentrate on the centre of the frame and forget that I need to check the whole frame before committing to a couple of hours of capture :)

Better luck next time, James.

Stay with it James,the breaks will come,console yourself with the fact that there is nothing you can do about it,its just a sad fact of British weather.

This is a great hobby,and to think if we lived under permantly clear skies,we would get Astronomy burnout,and feel so guilty if we did,nt go out.

I must confess it would be nice to have something in between.

Clear skies.

Mick.

Sunday night it looked quite promising, so I loaded up the car with my scope and went up onto the moors, but instead of clearing up the cloud just got thicker and gloomier -didn't see a damn thing! :)

Last night I was out on someone's leaving do. By the time I got home at about 12.15-looked at the sky it was completely clear ..wasn't expecting that! So got the kettle on whilst I grabbed my binos and within 15 minutes the sky was 3/4 covered with cloud. Did I jinx it??????? WHAT's GOING ON :):eek::D.

So I broke out the choc hobnobs in consolation! I did get a very good view briefly of Jupiter and I think I may have had my first glimpse of Uranus (but I need to check that out).

liverpool was forcasted cloud but i had a very good night :) was sooo clear i have never seen so many stars in my area before im lucky to have neighbours that dont have any fences :D so i get a clear run from north south and a pritty good veiw from east to west but im still yet to see jupiter as my roof just blocks it out just a few more nights and it will be there

Sunday night it looked quite promising, so I loaded up the car with my scope and went up onto the moors, but instead of clearing up the cloud just got thicker and gloomier -didn't see a damn thing! :)

Last night I was out on someone's leaving do. By the time I got home at about 12.15-looked at the sky it was completely clear ..wasn't expecting that! So got the kettle on whilst I grabbed my binos and within 15 minutes the sky was 3/4 covered with cloud. Did I jinx it??????? WHAT's GOING ON :):eek::D.

So I broke out the choc hobnobs in consolation! I did get a very good view briefly of Jupiter and I think I may have had my first glimpse of Uranus (but I need to check that out).

It was clear 20 minutes after sunset and I did my celebratory fist pumping dance in the garden, accompanied by squeals of delight - only for it to cloud over by 10:30.

Can't cope with this rollercoaster of emotions! :)

I just drove into Dublin city to check out a couple of new "tourist" attractions. One is a big wheel like the London Eye but only about half the size. I have seen bigger wheels at a funfair. The other is a pretty big cruise ship called "The World" that is docked in the river Liffey. As you cross the bridge you drive right under the front of the ship.............its damn scarey.

Anywhoo.................sky was mostly cloudy but some lovely clear skies to the north. So maybe it will clear later.

Archived