Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

These dastardly clouds!

Space Oddity6

Hey all,

So its now been over 2 weeks since I've seen even the slightest hint of a celestial object, through the telescope or naked eye, as these clouds just refuse to part, so as you can probably tell I'm a little bored.

So I was wondering, who on SGL holds the record for the longest weather interrupted interval between viewing sessions. Who has been blighted the most by cloud cover? Mine currently stands at 2 weeks and 1 day, but I'm relatively new to this hobby so I bet you guys smash that out of the park.

Well

I have not got the scope out for a few weeks, and as im moving in two weeks, i dont see me getting it out for at few weeks after the move.

Frustrating as hell but one of those things.

I am also at just over 2 weeks, having said that the clouds parted for about 45 minutes on Monday night this week over Frome, Somerset. The sky was amazingly clear and dark I could see so much with the naked eye I was just scanning around identifying constellations I can't normally see from my location. Arcturus was blinding orange, I could see most of the stars in Cygnus and Lyra. I could even see the milyway faintly running through cygnus and down to the South and West. By the time I realised I could get my telescope out it hard started to cloud over again.... A treat nonetheless. Not sure why the sky was clear, no moon obviously. Maybe all the cloud cover has stopped some of the heat haze and general pollution going up into the upper atmosphere.

Thunder tonight and rain possible!

Pray for clear skies. Perseid Meteor shower soon !

Blow the clouds away!

Its a BIT late but think i will pay almost anything right now to be in Portugal for a week to see the Persieds.

I need a holiday. I own an apartment in Lisbon. Its a 2-3 hr drive from Lisbon to the Algarve.

Its a BIT late but think i will pay almost anything right now to be in Portugal for a week to see the Persieds.

I need a holiday. I own an apartment in Lisbon. Its a 2-3 hr drive from Lisbon to the Algarve.

No way, I'm going to Portugal next week! When are the Perseids active? Not likely to be taking my scope though, are they visible to the naked eye?

Haha you're not wrong there John, the weather was very kind to me when I got my scope in June, I had seemingly endless crystal clear nights to explore but now all I seem to be learning about are our white fluffy friends (and I don't mean sheep!)

I don't want to speak too soon, but I see blue sky and sunshine through my window. Can it hold until tonight??

Space Oddity,

You sound in the same position as me. Got my Explorer 130 in June used for a few days of clear skies (although a bit shimmery) to see Moon, Venus, Mars and Saturn. Since then its been cloudy most nights.

Strangely I am also going to Portugal for a week on 31st July. I was thinking about getting a half decent pair of binos to take with me.

Is the Algarve any good for viewing? I assumed there would be loads of beachfront light pollution and sea haze..

Munchkjn, my Astronomy twin! How are you finding the 130? I think it's an excellent scope but going to look into getting some better eyepieces soon, the ones I got with mine weren't that great.

Not a bad idea about the binos I might sneak some into the case, but I have no idea about viewing in the Algarve for Portugal, I've never been before.

And, looks like I'll actually be getting some viewing in tonight, the sky is perfectly clear where I am. I think some Jupiter observing is in order!

I had clear skies here too last night. I got my scope out to look for M13 the globular cluster and Ras Algethi (Double star - I think it's actually a triple but you no chance of seeing the smallest).

I was mildly disappointed though, M13 was really diffuse and under high power looked nothing like the grainy image shown in "Turn Left at Orion". I found the double star and split the double but again, I found it hard to focus in on it and the colours weren't particularly stunning as I was expecting.

I'm starting to wonder whether I need to collimate the mirrors as the previous owner said he hadn't needed to do it.

I was going to bed at about 12.30 and as I closed the curtains I saw Jupiter rising in the North East, I couldn't be bothered to get the scope out again, so I grabbed a pair of binos and spent ages watching the moons. I could see three really clearly and I think the fourth was just to the West of the planet. I was amazed to get such a good view with just the binos though.

I presume the furthest away ones were Callisto and Gannymeade and the ones close in were Io & Europa but it's difficult to tell when the positions are only in 2D.

How did you get on last night?

I spent about an hour observing Jupiter from half 12 til half 1 and got 3 moons, one to the left as I looked at it and 2 on the right.

Don't know if you've got the same problem, but for me whenever I look at Jupiter (and it does only seem to be Jupiter when I get this problem) with either eyepieces (25mm or 10mm) it is very bright. From the right and angle and if I squint a bit I can make out a red band, but that's about as good as it gets which is slightly disappointing.

Not sure about what new ep's I'll get, need to look into it a bit more methinks.

I spent about an hour observing Jupiter from half 12 til half 1 and got 3 moons, one to the left as I looked at it and 2 on the right.

Don't know if you've got the same problem, but for me whenever I look at Jupiter (and it does only seem to be Jupiter when I get this problem) with either eyepieces (25mm or 10mm) it is very bright. From the right and angle and if I squint a bit I can make out a red band, but that's about as good as it gets which is slightly disappointing.

Not sure about what new ep's I'll get, need to look into it a bit more methinks.

I've heard on this forum that you can use a moon filter or even an LPA filter to cut down the brightness in this case. I've yet to view Jupiter with my own 130 so don't know if it works but I have both those filters and I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm not sure how good it will be on Jupiter, but for looking at a full moon (very bright) I cut the light down by replacing the tube cover on the ota and remove the small cover from the offset hole. If it works you might have saved the price of a filter :eek:

I've heard on this forum that you can use a moon filter or even an LPA filter to cut down the brightness in this case. I've yet to view Jupiter with my own 130 so don't know if it works but I have both those filters and I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you know how I get on.

If you wouldn't mind letting me know how you get on that would be epic. As I say, it's only with Jupiter that I have this problem, although now I come to think of it, there's Venus too.:eek:

Will do! I'm taking my 130 to Devon for a couple of weeks camping on Sunday, so I'll fire up the smartphone and give you a "field report" next week.

I'm only a newbie, so I'm sure there are many people on here who will be able to help you on this point as well.

Archived