Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cocoon widefield 2010

ollypenrice

Hi all,

This combines last year's wide Cocoon in the Tak FSQ at a focal length of 450mm with a closer-up image of the Cocoon itself in the TEC 140 from last week. I'm not sure how natural it looks (not very!) but I think getting the resolution is fun anyway.

A bit OTT? Probably.

Widefield, Atik 4000 mono, close up Atik 4000 OSC.

Olly

940313387_yM9Fg-X2.jpg

can you get these results from a dslr

Yes, or very nearly. Here's a link to my regular guest Frans Kroon's image of the Cocoon. It was taken with a Canon 20Da some years ago from the same site as my image. While the 20Da was a very expensive camera modded for astronomy by Canon themselves it is far less sensitive than a modern modded Canon. Frans now has a modded and cooled 40D which picks up far more Ha and has less noise so if he shot this now his result would be even better.

The difference in field of view arises simply from the telescope used. The widefield image in my picture was taken with a scope with half the focal length, roughly, of the Vixen Frans used for his.

The stars don't seem to come out as well in DSLR astro images as they do from CCD and in my view CCD is far easier - though that may be just being used to it. After resisting for quite a while Frans has ordered an 8300 chipped one shot colour CCD this year... He froze his 40D into a coma last summer but it came back to life in the morning!!

Deep Sky Astrophotography by Frans Kroon IC5146

Olly

What a beautiful image, a great inspiration to those of us just starting out.

Thanks Jon - but the journey is one without end; I think we all feel we are beginners since there is so much to improve on and to learn. It's incredibly exciting, though, to have this kind of access to the depths of space. Have fun.

Olly

Archived