SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Grab and Go

valleyman

What would be a really good grab and go piece of kit to just go out for a few minutes viewing. Thought about a spotter scope or something similier. any suggestions. something on a tripod would be best

Hi. Pat.

I've no Idea what kit you have at the Mo., but A small Apo Refractor makes a nice G&G scope. It would sit nice on a pan and tilt Tripod. The William Optics zs66 or an ED80 Apo. would suit you I think.

No doubt other suggestion will be forthcoming, so hang on until you have a good selection to choose from.

You can have a look at Flo's site First Light Optics, (Link at the top of this page). and read about the scopes I've mentioned. Second hand versions of the scopes crop up from time to time too, so keep an eye on the For Sale Board

Good Luck.

Ron.

I would go along with the small refractor, a WO 72 or one of the several ED 80's.

Have seen many posts where people regret selling their ED80's so they seem to fall into the good general do anything scope slot.

As to a mount, an EQ3-2 may be OK, also an Eezi Touch (whatever name it is) would be an alternative. WO make them as do one of the other manufacturers. Just not cheap.

If you wanted an alternative an ETX 90 or 105 would be fine, needs power but a simple mains converter if at home or a 12v car adaptor if to be used at a dark site or elsewhere.

Someone put a WO 72 on a Celestron Goto mount. Looked good, if you fancy a bit of DIY.:):D:D:D

I'm using a WO Megrez 72 as well (and will NEVER sell it!) works just great on a photo tripod and awesome on a CG4 mount when I have more time. See my post in the welcome section for a description of a grab and go summer soltice hike/observeing session with the meg.

I have recently put together my travel kit, have a 90mm makstov with a tabletop Orion eq1, the mount is incredibly solid. I get the whole set-up in a smallish silver protective case along with a few ep's barlow and red flash light. its not really grab and go as i need to assemble the legs, and weight bar + a table to view on helps. more of a take anywhere set-up.

My favourite grab and go set up was a WO Megrez 90 on a Manfrotto Camera tripod, could be left set up and stored easily - ready to go and observing within moments (subject to cool down), and gave fantastic views.

I am definitely in the "regret I sold it camp"!

My lightest set up is a Skywatcher 66ED on a Manfrotto tripod with the 410 geared head. The scope is small and easy to carry and the tripod is very solid, but easily carried.

A 70/72ED or a 90/102mm Mak would be at home on this mount.

Archived