Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1.25" vs 2"

i recently bought a 32mm 2" from russ and i can safely say its an eyepiece i use more than any other, its exceptional for finding deep sky objects, its like looking through a window rather than an eyepiece... eventually i think i'll probably just get 2" eps cos theyre so good

But be careful as many 2 inch lenses show a lot of flare around the edges at the over 20mm range.

You need a coma corrector or a big bank account to get a 2 inch that has stars that are points out to more than 70% from the centre of the view...

Mark

agree mdstuart,i only have one and thats an swa 32mm panaview,used with my 200p dob it yeilds exceptional deep sky views,but like said a coma corrector would be useful for the edges of the field of view.

Having said that,they are very comfortable to use and have transformed my deep sky viewing.

Nice long eye relief,on mine anyway and easy to look through.

Ya gotta have one :D

I've a mix of 1.25" and 2" eyepieces - the 1.25" barrel size constrains the max FoV in the longer focal lengths and I like wide FoV's. It's no real hassle switching between them.

Since I have a 40 mm Paragon and 22 mm Nagler in a 2" back for my Celestron C8, my deep-sky experience has really changed. The Paragon allows me to get the entire Pleiades in the field of view, and likewise for the double star cluster of Perseus. M42 is amazing in the Nagler. I still have a number of 1.25" EPs for planetary and mid-range work, and switching is indeed no hassle. You will need a good 2" diagonal (I got a WO 2" dielectric for EUR 99, which is an excellent deal).

About the Paragon, it really is a very nice EP for an F/10 SCT, and is a lot cheaper than similar Panoptics. I posted a review here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/94856-some-thoughts-tmb-paragon-40-mm.html

I only have one 2" eyepiece (see below) and love it.

there's no doubt in my mind that I'll eventually get more. they are really something else to look through. Although still not cheap my used 35mm Panoptic cost £200 and is in mint condition. it's totally sharp all the way across and stunning even with the light skies of the minute. I cannot wait for darker skies later in the year - come on Orion!

at the higher magnifications though I don't think there's any real advantage to 2" eyepieces.

Archived