Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

clear skies ahead

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeti.

What scope you using to view m13?

G

I was using the 10" SNT with modified Crayford dual speed (I'll stop mentioning it soon, promise) focuser.

Using the 20mm WA it was mostly a rather obvious fuzzy, but took magnification really well until I settled on the 12mm WA and the 7mm UWAn for best views, barlowing the 7mm left it too dim and filling the FOV, thus losing the effect of the cluster.

im off out tonight with the dob, new dark sky site that hopefully will produce good results and i can keep an eye on my car (it was almost broken into at my last dark sky site) as i was packing up last time a bloke tried to forcefully open my door... managed to shout oi and he scarpered, put me off a bit though!

Had a quick squint last night with my Bresser 70mm from light polluted Weymouth and managed to see M13 and the ring nebula quite easily

Hopefully having a look at the southern messiers around scorpius tonight

I use one i got from FLO last week,its fine now but had too collimate my laser collimator.lol.

Had few probs with it at first in as much as i always got different results with it,i found the adjustment screws and collimated it,what a difference it is,easy to setup and use now.

And since using the laser,it has been alot brighter when looking through it,guess it was a bit out before.

G

same scope as me,get out there ,they are more robust than you think,i use to be like that,now i just want to see many things.lol.

What eyepiece you got?

Beulah

Nice to see dedication,i usually get a bit tired when in work so give up about 1am,woke up other night about 3am and the sky looked so much crisper and clear,just couldnt do it though was up at 5.45am :)

g

G

There are some good DSO's to be seen once they are high enough in the sky. As well as the great M13 globular cluster there is another nice globular in Hercules, M92 which my 10" was resolving very nicely the other night. As well as the famous ring there is the Dumbell Nebula not far away in Vulpecula - much larger than the ring and just as nice IMHO. The Veil nebula in Cygnus is my favourite summer DSO but you really need good UHC or even better OIII filter to pick it's 2 brightest parts.

I've bagged some good DSO's (M5,M57,M104) over the last couple of weeks at about 2am (nice and dark then) even with the LP i have when looking west (my LPF cuts right through that though).

Funny thing was i wasnt looking for any of them. I just wandered upon them. I also saw something that looked suspiciously like the Dumbbell Nebula (M27)

Archived