NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another Observing Chair

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, yes it is a bit on the heavy side I guess, not sure how much it actually weighs, will get back to you on that! But, seeing as I only have to lug it about 10 ft out of the shed into the back garden i'll manage, he he!

Dunno about any skilled carpentry, I think I got a CSE grade 4 in woodwork many years ago! I won't do any real close up photos so you can't see the, er, rough edges etc!

Doc

• 7 months later...

I did one similar to that, but a little more heavy duty. It also folds to one piece and has a second step. Top height about 1.2m off the ground - I needed that much height for my long refractor. (133mm f/12)

Chair is of red oak, the seat compartment is big enough for a field guide or 7x50 bins, holds the straps that keep it together when it is set up so no loose bits with this design!

Dan

post-24566-133877535514_thumb.jpg

post-24566-133877535517_thumb.jpg

Rats! Tried to upload the plans - but they have diagrams and photos and they are too big (10mb). Send me a PM with a regular email if you want, and I'll send you the plans.

Photos below are of the mark I edition of this chair in rock maple. Mark II version folds smaller, holds more weight, and has storage under the seat. :o Weight capacity is over 300 lbs :).

An easy build over a couple of weekends, total cost, about $65 USD.

Dan

post-24566-133877535682_thumb.jpg

post-24566-133877535687_thumb.jpg

Dan my e-mail address is at the bottom of my signature, would you be so kind as to send your plans for the chair.

thankyou

Done. Let me know if you have questions; I'd love to see a photo after you've finished it!

Dan

I feel kinda bad about having hijacked the OP's thread on his very nice chair. :o

Thanks to Shane, I now have a PDF of the plans for my chair that are easy to post, so I will start a new thread today with photos, and easy-download plans.

Thanks to everyone for their kind interest! :)

Dan

Hi Space Beagle -

I appreciate that! Never intended to take over your thread!

Thanks for the comments on the chair, too. It's way too heavy, though. I want to improve the design again and get it under 15 lbs. Yours looks like it has it all over mine in terms of 'easy transport' :)

Dan

Archived