Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lack of Meades

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again can i say thanks to Gepetto and all of you for answering my original query about the lack of meades which i posted on the Welcome site. I've learned more in 10 minutes that i have in the past two months reading mags.

Nothing has put me off looking at a combo of 10" LX200 plus DSI pro, but will wait to speak/see Jamie in Paisley and the Glasgow AS.

Cheers

DC

The camera integrates (up to) 15 second exposures to the max requested exposure time. If it took, say, a single 90 sec exposure then the de-rotation algorithms would not be able to save the image as too much rotation would have occurred n the single frame.

Arthur

The camera integrates (up to) 15 second exposures to the max requested exposure time. If it took, say, a single 90 sec exposure then the de-rotation algorithms would not be able to save the image as too much rotation would have occurred n the single frame.

Just checking that I understand: The 15 sec single exposure limit only applies when using Drizzle to auto-rotate the images prior to stacking?

I have settled today on Meade's SN8 OTA. It has also become clear that the LXD75 is the wrong mount (Russ :rolleyes:) so I am going to bite the bullet and get an EQ6PRO! The HEQ5 would be fine I am sure but the EQ6 should take pretty much anything else that comes my way so makes more sense in the long run. I will use the DSLR then choose an imaging CCD later.

Many thanks for all the info and advice :D

Philip, Psychobabbler, you can expect more Meade talk :D

That sounds yummy Steve :D

Have you found a decent dealer to get one from :rolleyes:

Tell you what, a pat on the back for eveybody who chipped in on this thread.

Two pages of honest opinions without one single "Meade, you dont want to buy that ######!) that you often

see on forums (other brands as well)

Oops, change of plan... Its going be the SN10!

The difference in price was minor and having just sold my 10" Dob to Grant, I will appreciate the extra aperture when observing :cyclopsani:

Just hope its all going to fit in the back of the car!!!

For a conventional Newtonian to fully correct (OK, not fully) abberations, it must have a parabolic mirror. Unfortunately, parabolic mirrors are difficult to grind/polish, particularly when mass produced, whereas a spherical mirror can be made easily and cheaply to a very high standard. The Meade Schmidt Newtonians use a spherical mirror, relying instead on the Schmidt corrector lens to reduce abberations. The result is a fast scope with a remarkably well corrected image (they say), no secondary mirror supports and a sealed tube.

Disadvantages? I guess they must be the same as those affecting any scope with a front corrector lens: Longer cool-down time and a tendency to dew.

I will write a first light report when I get my hands on the EQ6!

Oh, so the corrector lens is dead easy to make then, best get some milk bottles melted and a plaster mould sorted out.

Seriously I'm quite taken with these and as they're cheaper than an RCX of the same size it looks like a "more possible" solution. If Rog. has got one we should be seeing some of his "test" images.

I'm currently waiting for a large slab of dosh to either land or not (bleddy receivers) so either I'll want a big 'un or stick with what I've got. Probably going to Dobberise the Skelescope as I can't shut the shed with it mounted without pointing it somewhere other than up, plus it seems to have a little too much shake for imaging. Best get a SCT / SN / RC / MC type thats a little more manageable.

Captain Chaos

for me the go-to on the etx and lx90 were the killer aps, if i had just got a newt and a eq mount i would not still be into astronomy and be out when ever i get the chance, the go-to allowed me to see things and start to learn the sky by seeing stuff with my own eyes.

As to the technical and mechanical problems i have had (and philip sorted) there have been many, i have now got most of the stuff to have a crack at guided dslr images so i say thank you mr Meade but cant help feeling a bit ripped off by him.

Go-to is available with a Newt., and forgive me for saying so, but Meade don't have the market cornered as far as software and hardware bugs are concerned. Synta mounts don't yet synchronise the go-to view (OK they do NOW if you upgrade the handset) with ASCOM planetarium software.

The go-to on Synta mounts do it for me currently but I do need to upgrade (X2) if I want it to work as I would like.

Captain Chaos

That is interesting,

It looks to be the same (GSO) focuser that I am hoping to fit (a fraction of the cost of the JMI). The Baader is said to be better again but it is proving difficult to obtain!

I am not looking forward to replacing the focuser as it looks as though I will have to go inside the tube to collect/replace the four nuts!

Archived