NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lack of Meades

Ive owned all of the ETX range(apart from the 70mm) and they are nice scopes esp if Astrophotography isnt an issue but as it is with me i decided to stick to more suitable scopes ie:the skywatcher range as they suit my budget and i get more aperture to play with for the same moneies involved.

Always fancied a LX90 but ive been put off by some remarks to it on forums and from friends :?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

true i have used that method with my GPS for ages now , rotation as you say can be sorted . ie Maxim for me , the only drawback is you do need a fast F ratio and also in aligning the images frame size is lost, this may not bother anyone , it never done me, just have to make sure the object is as central as possible in the frame.

Rog

Steve, I don't know much about the DSI pro II imager. I was under the impression that it really only works to its full potential with Meades using the autostar hand sets. I have seen some good images taken with it and it probably sits somewhere between a modded web cam good quality CCD cameras such as the Atik 16HR. It has good sony chip but quite a small one.

One thing that brasses me off is the way I have seen Meade describe it. Reminds me of digital cameras which claim to be able to zoom by x200 using wonderful digital wizardry - well we all know what is going on there. The drizzle technology to overcome field rotation doesn't "overcome" field rotation at all. If you take 50 subs the last one will be rotated in relation to the first one. Stick your subs in any number of software solutions and they will derotate the subs for you. The DSI just does it on the fly. It's neat but not radical. If you image in Alt Az you will start to get star trails typically after about 45 seconds depending on focal length and pixel size etc. As far as I know Drizzle wont stop this. Pretty disingenuous description of the product I think.

Another example is the way they claim to be able to increase the effective size of the chip. This is done using an automated mosaicing routine. This is pretty neat but lining up images for a mosaic isn't exactly rocket science. What they don't mention is what a processing nightmare a mosaiced image is!!!

Finally they make a big claim of having a colour chip. One shot easy peasy. The SXV H9 and the H9C are exactly the same price. There is no premium on colour chips. The main advantage with colour is easy acquisition of images. When getting my camera I was strongly advised by a number of well qualified folk that processing LRGB images is much easier and flexible. Sensitivity isn't as good. Also narrow band imaging is very difficult with colour chips since at best you will only have 1/3 of the cips working for you at any one time.

It looks like a useful piece of kit with a genuine place but it is such a shame you have to interpret all the hype and gimmicks.

When getting my camera I was strongly advised by a number of well qualified folk that processing LRGB images is much easier and flexible. Sensitivity isn't as good. Also narrow band imaging is very difficult with colour chips since at best you will only have 1/3 of the cips working for you at any one time.

I hear you Martin which is why I would opt for the Mono version :lol:

It looks like a useful piece of kit with a genuine place but it is such a shame you have to interpret all the hype and gimmicks.

I know what you mean. When the first DSI came out Meade claimed that you could produce stunning images on your first night out :wink:

The new DSI will produce a variety of file formats such as BMP, JPEG, TIFF, etc so can be processed in whatever software package you like .... I guess!

Of course, there are better cameras out there but at 2-3x the cost of a DSI, they don't fit my budget :grin:

I HAVE TRIED THE LOWER MARKET OF COLOUR MODDED WEB CAMS , TO THE TUNE OF NEARLY £400 , WHAT A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY , STEVE IF U WANT MY ADVICE I WOULD GO MONO FOR STARTERS , IT WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF GRIEF, AND AT LEAST YOU DONT HAVE TO SPENT AGES TRYING TO PROCESS AN IMAGE , THE PROBLEM WITH THIS GAME IS ONCE YOU START , U ARE NEVER HAPPY FOR LONG WITH WHAT U ACHEIVE, GOOD I SUPPOSE AS IT PUSHES YOU ON FOR BETTER QUALITY IMAGES,SO ANYWAY THATS MY THOUGHTS , TAKE THE MONO ROAD , THEN LATER ON UPGRADE TO A BIT BETTER CAMERA,

ROG

SORRY ABOUT UPPERCASE HEHEHE

Thanks but that part of the decision making process is sorted. From the outset, I have wanted a mono chip.

How long ago was it that you tried cameras at this price-point? A year is a long time in the CCD market. Lets hope they have improved as I simply cannot justify £1,000+ on a CCD, particularly as I already have a DSLR.

Of course, being new to the astro-imaging game, expect my opinions to change - frequently :wink:

Thanks for all the advice chaps :grin:

Despite what I said about the advertising blub Steve, it could well be a good choice for you. TBH I don't really know much about it, have only read the stuff that Meade have put out.

15 secs :shock: That can't be right can it Arthur?

yup last year u right there had the Atik colour camera the 2c, images shown by the experts looked great , trouble is Steve these nearly all were taken abroad in dark skies , i soon found out at least in my area, its a big no no , so had it stripped down for another mono chip . anyway i know your mind is made up now , any help ya need just shout

Rog

Thanks, I will :wink:

Having been a photographer most of my life, I am using that understanding (and budget!) when choosing the scope/imager - hope I am not far off the mark. (The fact you are buying an SN10 is reassuring).

In truth, I am more concerned over the LXD75 mounts ability to carry a SN8. Whilst I think it is much better than people say, it does look a bit overloaded. I might put the Tal 100 on it and treat the SN8 to a HEQ5 or even an EQ6!

I can see this could get expensive :?

Of course, there are better cameras out there but at 2-3x the cost of a DSI, they don't fit my budget

You asked at the beginning why do people buy DSLR's when they could a DSI PRO II for roughly the same. Well i think the answer is in your statement above.......BUDGET! Anyone considering the Meade or a DSLR is contrained by a very tight budget. And when £450 is all you have, the DLSR looks (and is) far better value. You really are getting you full £450 worth. The DSLR is a camera you can use all year round, every day and at all times of the day. It's simply the most versatile type of camera bar none. Plus it can be used a completely self contine unit with no wires and no need for a laptop.

But as you already have a DSLR the Meade could be a good introduction to mono imaging. What about the SAC imaging cameras? Are they any good? The SAC9 has a comparable chip and is cooled too. Or how about the mono cameras that Andy Ellis (Astronomiser) sells? Just some other camera's to consider before you commit to the Meade. I have no experience with any mind, so i'll let Martin/Rog comment on them.

Russ

In truth, I am more concerned over the LXD75 mounts ability to carry a SN8.

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

that's from first hand experience. Yes the LXD75 mount is better than people make out but not with the 8 or 10" on board. It's good with the 6"SN. And superb with a small refractor (66mm or 80mm). Or brilliant as a camera platform. But it's complete carp with an 8" riding on top.

Rog has the perfect idea. The brilliant EQ6 with the first class SN10. Take off the Meade focuser (which is the worlds worst ever focuser) and replace it with a JMI or Moonlight. That setup is going to be soooo good!

Russ

You asked at the beginning why do people buy DSLR's when they could a DSI PRO II for roughly the same.

Did I :scratch:

I used to wonder why people spent £500 on a CCD when they could buy a DSLR.

What about the SAC imaging cameras? Are they any good? The SAC9 has a comparable chip and is cooled too. Or how about the mono cameras that Andy Ellis (Astronomiser) sells? Just some other camera's to consider before you commit to the Meade. I have no experience with any mind, so i'll let Martin/Rog comment on them.

I don't know them but I am 'all ears' :rolleyes:

Thanks for your LXD75 comments Russ; surely an HEQ5 would take an SN8 without struggling.

I am particularly surprised that the new Meade DSI PRO II (a camera I am seriously considering for myself) has gone unnoticed here. Granted, it doesn't have active cooling like models 2-3 times the price but its Sony EXview HAD sensor's 16-bit images will beat a DSLR for sensitivity and lack of noise.

Perhaps i miss interpreted your above comment Steve.

Thanks for your LXD75 comments Russ; surely an HEQ5 would take an SN8 without struggling.

Shouldn't have too many worries.

Russ

Perhaps i miss interpreted your above comment Steve.

I see what you mean; it is a bit ambiguous isn't it :?

What I meant to say is now that the DSI has the new chip, it is serious competition to DSLRs.

Like I said, I am a bit out of my depth here...

What I meant to say is now that the DSI has the new chip, it is serious competition to DSLRs.

totally different beasts. You'll be able to use both :D

Good,

The DSLR doesn't need a laptop 8)

I shall use the DSLR until I am confident that I have cracked the alignment/tracking, then can move on to an imaging CCD... At least thats the plan.

Thanks for all the advice :D

Of course, this time next year I will be a seasoned pro :rolleyes:

Archived