Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rigel or Telrad as only finder???

Evening all,

I'm really not liking my 6 x 30 finderscope that came with my dob, in fact i hate it.

Would the telrad or rigel qf red dot scope be suitable as the only finder on my scope?

I only ask as people seem to use them 'alongside' their other finders.

Im liking the Telrad so far. All i want is simplicity, point and see.

Thanks

Al

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i use the telrad in conjunction with the finder. The telrad gets you where you think you should be and the finder fine tunes what your looking at, occasionally you'll see your target in the finder-scope and it'll be in the centre of the field of view. Id recomend getting atelrad and practise using both... if you really cant get on with the finder then the telrad is well worth the £27, good luck

Had the Telrad, loved it. Had the Rigel, loved that too. But now have the William Optics Multi Reticle Finder (and all it's clones) and i prefer that over the other two. It's small and compact and uses the current finder shoe.

I'm with Russ on that one - the WO is very nice, compact, and unobtrusive :D

The only thing the WO loses out on is the nice FOV circles the other two provide. The WO only has one 0.5deg circle. But i find the single dot my fav anyway.

I use the Telrad / Quikfinder (I have one of each) along with an optical finder on both my scopes. as others have said, I get to the right spot approx. with the Telrad, then a bit closer with the finder and then locate the target with the widest angle EP.

Telrad + wide field EP solve my problems 99% of the time. If you can see a good amount of stars naked eye then the telrad is all you need. If however you're under light pollution then you'll need the optical finder for the final adjustments.

Looks just like the William Optics one to me.

Just to be contrary (:D) I'll say that I prefer the Telrad or Quikfinder to the WO-type multi-reticule RDF's. I find the reticule on the latter a bit too bright, even on the minimum setting and the alignment adjustments on the ones I've tried have been rather hit or miss. Perhaps I've not had a good one yet ?.

At the moment I'm using a £12 e.bay RDF on my 6" refractor and I've got it spot on so that, if I get the red spot on an object, it's in the FoV even at 300x !. The red dot on the cheap RDF's is none too precise though (more of a red blob) - but, hey, it works :D

To address your original question though, I find an RDF on it's own is enough for about 80% of the time but there are times when an 8x50 optical, used in tandem with the RDF, is essential - finding dim planets like Uranus and Neptune for example where the light grasp of the optical finder helps with the final star hopping.

Hi,

Telrad and Quikfinders are 1x mag with 0.5, 2 and (telrad only) 4 degree red circles 'projected' on to the sky. Very useful for star hopping.

Of all the RDFs I like the Baader skysurfer III with it's larger clear window

Not worked that bit out yet, but im thinking with a L shaped "thingy " or some velcro

Check out the Scopes N Skies Astro Boot section - they have some finder feet and dovetail brackets that might do the trick.

Archived