Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M51 Widefield (first guided exposure)

Alestrom

Hi

This is my first attempt at guiding (manually), from last night. I piggybacked my 1000D and Sigma lens onto my reflector, using the main scope to guide (turns out to be a painfull process stooping over to eyepiece level for so long!). I also did my most thorough drift align - but like a fool I did this before mounting the camera so I'm pretty sure I moved it, also not helped by kicking one of tripod legs slightly...

Still with no time to put it right (work in the morning, 6.30 alarm) so I went with it, hence there was some drift North-South. I only have a motor drive for the RA axis, so I couldn't compensate for this. I found it surprising how many stars can be seen through the camera viewfinder when the focus is spot on, I could star-hop straight to M51 that way.

Anyway here is the result, and a crop of the galaxy area.

19 x 2 minute subs and same of dark frames, at ISO800.

Lens at 300mm f/5.6

Stacked in DSS with Sigma-Kappa method.

Processed in PixInsight LE

Any suggestions or criticisms welcome, I am just getting to grips with image processing :)

post-18849-133877438711_thumb.jpg

post-18849-133877438718_thumb.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention that may be of interest to anyone with an EQ3-2 mount - the counterbalance weights were not heavy enough to balance the sope, camera and lens - I had to gaffer tape a small dumbbell to one of them!

Thats a very nice image. And to think you got that on a eq3/2 mount, guided manually, well done that man I say!! I have had 1 go at M51 to date and it was nowt compared to your image.

Thanks for sharing.

Gary

It certainly did! Another issue I have is that I don't have a programable shutter release, so I had to keep looking away to check the exposure length! Because of this, some of the subs were longer than they should have been (one was 2 mins 21) but I overrode this in DSS to tell it they were all the same. Doesn't seem to have caused a problem...

Cheers everyone. I can't wait to try this setup on a larger target - M31, M45 and NGC7000 spring to mind. Shame it's the wrong time of year... Any suggestions for the spring?

Archived