NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturns Rings...

eddy

Still a noob and not really done enough research yet to answer my own question, do we see saturn on its side at any point? Making its rings more visible? As of yet i have only seen saturn point on, making its rings a thin slither through the planet :( Which, of course is good but it would be nice to see otherwise

Hope this isnt too dumb and im missing something quite relevant!

Eddy

Thanks for the replies guys! :( Just a matter of waiting i guess then?

One more thing, little off topic, M42 orion, when is it best viewed? I have downloaded lists of easiest objects and M42 was at the top, but stated that it was January for the best month of viewing.....is this true?

Thanks again

Eddy

That would explain why i cant grasp it then! :( lol

i did try last night but by the time the sky was clear enough it was VERY low and the moon was in full shine! lol

Thanks again for the replies! :D

Eddy

• 2 weeks later...
Saturns rings do alter their angle over time and become more visable, the thing is they're more edge on at the moment. I don't think the planet is ever "on it's side". This illustrates it well: A Change of Seasons on Saturn

Wouldn't that be AMAZING if every now and then we were treated to the spectacle of Saturn tilted a full 90 degrees either way so that we were looking straight down onto its ring system.

What is the MAX tilt of Saturn?....................30 degrees?

The best views of Saturns Rings are coming from the Cassini spacecraft. The pictures are stunning, and show not only the rings, but many of Saturn's Moons. The larger ones, as well as the shepherd moons that orbit wityhin the Ring system itself.

I know it's not the same as seeing the planet with ones own telescope. But there is so much to learn from Cassini's mission there.

Not forgetting Titan, which has a lander on the surface. No longer sending data unfortunately, but you've got to marvel at the results from there.

Ron.:D

Archived