Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings From South Georgia USA

waccoo

As introductions are asked for...

I am in South Georgia, USA. I've been an amateur astronomer for going on 40 years (1970 or so). I am married with a wonderful wife and a newly adopted 14 year old girl. Neither understand astronomy but support me all the same. I work for the public library here locally, and, use my knowledge to be the "System Astronomer"

Then there is this treasure...

My first memory of the sky was going outside one evening and asking my Mother 'What is that Constellation?' Being a good Mother, she didn't know, but, we went to the library and checked out some books on the constellations.

Shortly after that, my parents got me my first pair of 7x50 binoculars. I still have them and still use them. After a few years, I bought a 6 inch Criterion, and, after waiting a year for delivery, began a long love affair with the Newtonian telescope. I now have a 4 inch (on a steel pipe stand), my 6 inch Criterion, an 8 inch Meade and a 10 inch Meade, the last three all on an equatorial mount. I hope to one day soon build a Dob mount that could hold all three of the bigger scopes, each with it's own cradle to hold them up.

I am a member of the Urban Astronomer Club from the Astronomical League and have just started on the Caldwell 109 Club.

I am a member of the Oglethorpe Astronomical Association. It has been around for about 45 years now. We have about 20 active members, South Georgia is NOT the greatest place for astronomy weather wise, but we are very active. We have been Awarded or been Honorably Mentioned many times by the Astronomical League for our Astronomy Day programs, and, locally for our civic support.

I also love to participate in the Orange Blossom Special Star Party, held annually near Tampa/St. Pete, Fl. The last few years, the weather has been lousy, but, a good time is had by all.

Thanks for letting me join up!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They ALL need to be re-surfaced. A few nights ago, I was working on the collimation of the 10" and found that there just isn't a lot of aluminum left on the mirror. Fortunately, there is a guy who does it not to far away in Florida. I hope to drop the whole set off with him soon.

AS for my 40 years: I am a librarian. I don't know anything, but, I can look things up for you and get back to you later.

I little note on the YouTube thing.

Here in the States, there is this guy named Bill Gates. You might have heard of him. He has a charity that gives money to Libraries throughout the country.

Someone in the charity had this 'brilliant' idea to use the word "Geek" to mean "love" and the term 'I Geek" was formed.

The library system I work for was one of the test subjects for this campaign. I got suckered in to doing the video, which was, of course, shown on local TV and may go national. If you can't tell, it was a VERY warm night here in South Georgia and not really dark enough to actually do astronomy.

BTW, is there a way to change my display name?

Archived