NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn

PeterJ

I know im not the first to see Saturn, but I have just seen it for the first time with my skywatcher 150. Oh my god it is the most breath taking sight I have seen, so much so just realised I have been looking at it for over an hour. just had to share the moment.

thanks Peter

I know im not the first to see Saturn, but I have just seen it for the first time with my skywatcher 150. Oh my god it is the most breath taking sight I have seen, so much so just realised I have been looking at it for over an hour. just had to share the moment.

thanks Peter

Congratulations Peter ;)

If you were not hooked on astronomy before, you are now !.

1st views of Saturn seem to linger longest in the memory - mine was over 25 years ago in a 60mm scope but I still recall it vividly ;)

Saturn is simply stunning, I saw it for the first time myself a month or two ago. I showed my brother and my girlfriend and she said that it didn't look real. I'll tell you one thing for definite, I don't think anyone gets bored of looking at Saturn.

;):hello2:;)

Nice one Peter.

I once saw Saturn through a friend's scope about fifteen years ago and have never forgotten the excitement I felt at the time. Now the proud owner of a shiny new scope of my own for the last 10 days, all I need is a clear night for a second look. Hope I haven't got to wait another fifteen years!

You need to wait until a little later at night at the mo, maybe after midnight, about 1am it should be high enough :eek:

Saturn is one object that every view is a "wow" kind of view. I'll often over the course of a night view lots of objects but keep going back every 20 minutes or so to look at it again.

James

Congrats on your first Saturn experience Peter.

You never forget your first view of Saturn, it's a definate WOW moment. And something you just want to keep coming back too regardless of how much experience (old) you have. Like James, i'll keep returning to it throughtout an observing session...it's like magnet. Mars has had the same effect for me this year.

Russ

Saturn is simply stunning, I saw it for the first time myself a month or two ago. I showed my brother and my girlfriend and she said that it didn't look real. I'll tell you one thing for definite, I don't think anyone gets bored of looking at Saturn.

:eek::hello2::evil6:

I remember a few years back calling my wife out to have a look at Saturn through a 5" Orion ( USA ) MAK , it was the first time she had seen it and she stepped back from the eyepiece and looked intently at the front of the scope.

I asked her what she was doing and she said that she was checking to see if I had stuck a cut out picture on the scope to trick her as there was no way it could look so perfectly "planet" like.

It really is so incredible and I love giving people a "first look" at Saturn, no one ever goes away anything but awe-struck.:D

Hi Peter and well done for sharing Saturn.

Whenever I see it, I feel it strikes at the heart of astronomy as if to say "here's a taste of heaven - and all those books you read as a child showing planets, were actually real"

It's an idyllic sight and like many have mentioned, not easily forgotten

Good luck on your next target

When I was nine or so I had small refractor - it was a no name tasco clone. From my front garden there was this bright star that I'd ignored for ages, so one day I put the scope on it to reveal Jupiter and 4 moons, I though that was pretty cool, then I spotted a dimmer "star" to the left - When I pointed the scope at that and saw saturns rings through I nearly fell over. One of those moments that I'll never forget.

Thanks for sharing - I know exactly how you feel!

Archived