Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from sunny Somerset!!?

robinb

Hi folks,

Thought I'd better say hello.

I'm a beginner with 45 years experience! My interest started in the early 1960's when I bought a Victorian 2" brass table top telescope with pillar and claw stand, from a school friend for 10 shillings (50p). His father was a dustman and had picked it up when someone had put it out with the rubbish! Once I looked at the Moon through that little gem, I was hooked for life. I still have that 'scope now, and will probably be buried with it.

Highlights of my astro-life :- BAA member 1969-83, optician with A.E. Luton 1970-72, 1973 eclipse cruise to N.Africa with 300 other like minded souls and a 5 sec appearance on the Sky at Night episode which followed, meeting Sir Patrick on my 50th birthday, 6 years(current) membership of SPA. As can be seen from my signature, I'm an old 'scope nut (well, definately a nut anyway). I can find my way around the sky, identify half a dozen deep sky objects and that's about it really. But I still love it all! Sorry to go on.

Best regards, Robin.

Hi Robin,

Nice to see you on SGL ;)

Look forward to having another chat about classic scopes, manufacturers etc, etc, soon.

I'm just up the road from you at Portishead - we met recently when I bought a nice Japanese Meade diagonal from you.

Archived