Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

my first moon pic. didnt go to well

Lee85

The Moon should give enough light to allow AF to work although it looks as if you took the shot during the day which reduces the contrast of the Moon's edge against the sky and can confuse the AF functions.

If you wait for the sky to get darker, line the edge of the Moon up with one of the AF points, (eg the small box in the centre of the view finder), and half press the shutter button. The lens should auto-focus on the Moon and the box flash red. I think there's a beep too if it's turned off (I think I turned mine off almost as soon as I got my camera). Once the lens has focused itself, turn AF off. Your lens should now be in focus for the Moon. As long as you're careful not to touch the lens, you should be able to shoot away quite happily knowing that you're reasonably in focus.

It's a good attempt. I've grabbed the EXIF data from the image, it's below as it helps explain some of the things going on.

Camera Make: Canon

Camera Model: Canon EOS 1000D

Image Date: 2010:01:21 16:53:25

Flash Used: No

Focal Length: 300.0mm

CCD Width: 3.12mm

Exposure Time: 0.167 s (1/6)

Aperture: f/5.6

ISO equiv: 800

White Balance: Auto

Metering Mode: Matrix

Exposure: Manual

Exposure Mode: Manual

Looking at the time, it's near dusk, yet you've got a long enough exposure to bring the sky colour back. I'd say that you used the cameras light meter, it's set to matrix which averages the light across the entire frame and the display will be for everything in the frame. The moon at 300mm is too small to make any real difference to the metering so is in effect ignored. That's why you got the blue colour in the sky.

Looking at the other settings... f/5.6 is probably wide open, and maybe necessary to hand hold. Equally the lens may not give ideal performance at that setting, so setting the aperture to f/8 may be a better idea.

1/6s is a long shutter speed for this sort of shot.. It looks like you were handholding, the odd bands around the disk... looks like camera shake. Unless the lens has decent IS, the accepted minimum shutter speed is 1/focal length, so 1/300s in this case... It varies depending on the person of course.

For the moon you want the ISO as low as possible, ideally, so ISO100 is best. I'd suggest using a tripod with that lens combo. Cropping in too far will also degrade the image and at 300mm that's too far.

I would normally use about 1/50s, ISO100 for that phase of the moon.

I hope that helps...

:D thanks everyone. im going to wait till the clouds go and have another try with all the info everyone gave me.

(jgs001 how did you get that info from the image haha i didnt know u could do that :) )

Lee, The EXIF data is, by default, left embedded in the image. I have a plugin called FxIF for firefox that when I right click and select properties on the image displays the embedded exif data. (I'm a member of a photography forum, and the camera settings are not normally shown, but the EXIF is normally left, and being able to read it is important to learn).

Archived