Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello

Bodkin

I've only recently become addicted to this great place and thought I should say hello.

I've been a keen observer for over twenty five years. From south London I try to cut through the pollution with a six inch Intes Mak Newt. When I can I observe from a dark location in France with a 19.5 inch dobsonian and a well-loved old 10inch Fullerscopes on a Mk4 mount. I enjoy tracking down faint galaxies, but love lying back on a lounger under the milky way with only the naked eye even more.

Jon.

Isn't it a great antidote to dashing from object to object? Do you ever get that momentary sensation that you can just sense the earth's rotation? Probably just an illusion (or alcohol).

It is about 60km south of Troyes in eastern France; a place called Villiers le Bois. The village is very small and although it now has streetlights they turn off at 10:30. The nearest town is about 15km to the north and it only has about 400 inhabitants so the skies are pretty good.

It is about 60km south of Troyes in eastern France; a place called Villiers le Bois. The village is very small and although it now has streetlights they turn off at 10:30. The nearest town is about 15km to the north and it only has about 400 inhabitants so the skies are pretty good.

You lucky thing - they stopped turning them off in our village which means a five minute walk out of the centre to get away from them - mind you you can still see the Milky Way just by putting your hand up to shield the street light.

At least the light from their street lights doesn't seem to carry so far as UK ones and their can't be more than 6 of them (for the population of around 360).

PS That's the in-laws place in Spain in my sig below not France if it wasn't obvious.

Archived