Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another hello from Shropshire

Matt_1976

Hello all,

I’m totally new to astronomy and currently resisting the urge to dive in head first and trying to take it step by step. Hence I have no kit save a pair of binoculars and a mound of questions! The ultimate aim is Astrophotography I guess and to date I have really just been trawling the boards and looking at some of the fantastic images and becoming suitably encouraged to give it a go myself. What’s is really inspiring is seeing how posters' images have improved over time.

Also encouraging is the amount of stargazers local to myself (Newport – Shropshire). The Wrekin springs to mind as a starting point but is this really the best spot to me for viewing the sky and are there any local clubs to me where I can go along and get involved? My 12 year old son is equally enthusiastic to get involved so we're looking forward to some quality time spent freezing in the middle of nowhere!

As I say I have a mound of questions but I really want to take it one step at a time and for the time being become familiar with the night sky and how to locate what is visible and at what times, I’m resisting the urge to buy a telescope that will locate the objects for me I think it would be more rewarding to put the hard miles in and study the sky a little for myself first. I have stellarium which is already proving invaluable.

If anyone can suggest me a few objects in the sky to try and locate though that should be visible at this time of year I can take it from there!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly Matt,

Welcome to SGL.

If anyone can suggest me a few objects in the sky to try and locate though that should be visible at this time of year I can take it from there!

Secondly there are quite a few objects within the grasp of binoculars.

M42 Orion Nebula

M45 Seven sisters star cluster

M31 Andromeda galaxy

Several clusters, M37, M38 etc.

Jupiter is a little low at the moment and due south around 6-7pm but is still a great sight in any scope/binocular.

In the morning Saturn is visible and Mars later in the evening (due east).

And probably plenty more that I have missed.

Good luck hunting...:)

Hi and welcome to SGL, Matt (and Dylan, too!). :D I admire your choice of taking it one step at a time, it's the best way to really learn the sky. I sauntered around the sky for a year with a pair of 7x35s.. lots of great memories.

Btw, are you familiar with the satellite prediction site Heavens Above ? It lets you know ahead of time when the ISS will make a pass over your area, or when you'll be able to see an Iridium flare. Pretty cool stuff. :)

• 1 year later...

Hey Greetings from Shropshire also. Good to see I'm not the only Astronomy Virgin to join today.:eek:

You ask about objects to look out for... nice easy one in June. The eclipse of the moon. I am hoping the skies are clear here.;)

Hi Matt (and Dylan) and welcome to the forum.

Glad to hear your taking your taking your time and as they say, "...the stars aren't going anywhere"

As you mentioned astrophotography in your introduction, I would like to recommend that you get hold of a copy of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) A great book to read for anyone wanting to participate in imaging or as it is more commonly known, "the Dark Side!" Equipment that is great for observing is not always the most suitable for imaging and that includes mounts. This book will tell you what you need and why you need it to achieve the kind of results that will meet with your expectations. Imaging can be a simple as sticking a webcam on a scope for images of planets and the moon, or can ascend the heights of an expensive rig to image deep sky objects (DSO's) with all the bells and whistles attached. This book will help you decide what level to participate and what it will cost you both in terms of money and time because getting hold of the the data is one thing, processing it is another.

You mention learning the sky manually without the help of GOTO which is great. However, effective deep sky imaging should you go down that route will require the use of at least a HEQ5 mount (proven tracking and finding capabilities) as not all the objets you wish to image will necessarily be visible.

Hope that helps.

James

Archived