Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fuzzy Virgin :-)

Farscape1

Hello all,

Sry about the thread title couldn't resist:), although it's true in the deep space sence of the word.

Ive just registered after trolling for the past few days and what a great site, its crammed full of very usefull info and has helped alot already.

Ive always had an interest in astronomy and have watched lots of documentaries on the TV and lot's of sci-fi but have never taken it any further than a passing interest.

It wasn't untill I looked up at the night sky from a bothy at the top end of Glen Nevis last year that I could appreciate exactly whats up there. These were very dark skies and Ive never seen so many stars before and the milky way was new on me. I was bitten and promised myself to take this further when I had more time and money.

Im from Edinburgh and have been using my bino's (old 10x50's) from my kitchen window so far and im quite impressed how much more you see with them. My view is to the south east and Im slowly learning whats going by, Orion, Canis minor, Mars etc.

Any way Hello again and im sure ill be picking your brains for info in the future:)

Farscape1 out

Welcome to The SGL Forum. I envy you those wonderful Ben Nevis skies Farscape. A scope could become redundant under such a canopy if we were all blessed with them.

Binoculars are useful for the Milky Way specials though :).

Ron.:icon_eek:

Welcome to the forum Farscape. That thread title is wrong on so many levels LOL. Im sure there will be some tongue in cheek remarks coming this way soon (In true SGL style) :). Plenty of knowlegable folk on here always willing to answer your questions.

Matt

Thanks for all your kind words of welcome, sorry for not describing what a Bothy was. It las late when I posted, basically it's an old cottage at best in the middle of nowhere often without windows/roof etc:). Fortunatly the one we went to was well maintained and had all these luxuries. It's just as well as it was nearly absolute zero both inside and out. Just incase we carried about 10 kilo's of Peat blocks and a nice bottle of malt we soon had the place feeling like home;).

Also its nice to know there are some members in my area, maybe the next time some of you are organising an evening out you could let me know as I've never looked through a Scope and would help to get a better idea of whats involved.

Thanks again for the welcome and Im sure the old question "WHICH SCOPE?" will rear it's head in the near future.:icon_eek:

Farscape1 out :)

P.S I'll post a few pics later

Pic 1 : The Bothy

Pic 2 : Early morning view from

Pic 3 : Looking Down the Glen

The skies were that clear at night aswell but couldn't imagine lugging a scope there it was some distance. I did take a couple of shots of the night sky but they turned out as black rectangles:D

post-18001-133877414258_thumb.jpg

post-18001-133877414267_thumb.jpg

post-18001-133877414274_thumb.jpg

Archived