Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is the cure for Aperture Fever

Need some help...Inspired by some dark skies and perhaps wanting to walk before I can run, I'm thinking of upgrading to a new 'scope

see here

Here's how I rationalise it:-

1. It fits in a smaller car
  2. It has a great name behind it
  3. It's sufficiently bigger than the 'scope I have to see a difference
  4. It's got a very nice optical set up where the figure of the mirror is known and engineered.
  5. It's dead sexy

Here's where all the logic kicks in:-

1. I've only had my current scope since May
  2. I haven't even got any decent EP's sop how on earth can I say I've had the best out of my current set up ?
  3. I wouldn't use it enough to warrant the cost
  4. It's blatantly expensive
  5. They recommend a Paracorr
  6. Posessions aren't everything - that sort of money would feed an army in Africa and it's obscene capitalism
  7. some people have a lot more fun with a lot less than the scope I have now...I'm being stupid

What would you do ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...it even says it on the advert for the 25"...

"You won't believe your eyes.

This is the cure for aperture fever!"

I always have this problem...there is a little person on each shoulder and the Buy it! guy used to win eventually every time, with the purchase going on the credit card..but now I have a family I keep thinking "what would the wife say"

so the little "Don´t Buyit" guy has now turned into a miniature version of the wife....I just can argue with the little wife she keeps winning...

BUY IT!

Neil C

Need some help...Inspired by some dark skies and perhaps wanting to walk before I can run, I'm thinking of upgrading to a new 'scope

see here

Here's how I rationalise it:-

1. It fits in a smaller car
  2. It has a great name behind it
  3. It's sufficiently bigger than the 'scope I have to see a difference
  4. It's got a very nice optical set up where the figure of the mirror is known and engineered.
  5. It's dead sexy

Here's where all the logic kicks in:-

1. I've only had my current scope since May
  2. I haven't even got any decent EP's sop how on earth can I say I've had the best out of my current set up ?
  3. I wouldn't use it enough to warrant the cost
  4. It's blatantly expensive
  5. They recommend a Paracorr
  6. Posessions aren't everything - that sort of money would feed an army in Africa and it's obscene capitalism
  7. some people have a lot more fun with a lot less than the scope I have now...I'm being stupid

What would you do ?

I'm sorry but someone has to talk sense, you yourself know the answer to your own question ................................

BUY IT !!!!!!!!

Oh lordy folks... this was 100% not the answer I was expecting. By being honest on the "here's the lack of logic section" - I thought all you good folks would line up to confirm that indeed, the spending of such money was an abuse.

Now here you are telling me not only to purchase it, but the 25" at that ?

I've looked at the 25" version but at the focal ratio's they are talking, I'm just not too comfortable about the height (I'm not scared, but being up ladders is hardly the hobby I signed up for !)

I've dropped a note to the clever people at Obsession asking why they cannot make the mirror coma-free because the regular F5 Obsession does not require a coma corrector, but the F4.2 version does.

I've since heard that in the US they are building F3.7 scopes now - I'll bet that's a handful to collimate !

Thanks for all the f/b

NO............ snap out of it. This blatant abuse of money and materials must stop. There is no need for a scope that big. You are just being greedy. Leave some photons for us to look at. I suggest some 10x50 binoculars and go find M31 and the double cluster and enjoy the view. :icon_eek:

I've dropped a note to the clever people at Obsession asking why they cannot make the mirror coma-free because the regular F5 Obsession does not require a coma corrector, but the F4.2 version does.

IIRC correctly Steve the relationship between coma and focal ratio isn't lineal so it gets a LOT harder to keep the coma to an acceptable level (what ever that is!!)as the focal ratio decreases.

That's the bit that get's me.. One would think that in these days of CNC controlled grinders and precise CAD automation etc you would just be able to design the mirror to be any shape you like.

So, given that the scope could be any price and it would still sell, why not go that extra little bit and design the mirror to have no coma ?

I need to know more about this mirror grinding lark !

Simply join the dark side and start imaging, loads of beautiful detail will be seen albeit as a picture but it will be your picture.

I had a look through a 20" Dob and I know deep down that for visual observation nothing smaller will do for me now, but with astrophotography you can knock the socks off that with a well collected image.

Probably work out cheaper to.

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works Steve. A F4.2 mirror is going to need fantastic eyepieces, your 2" 26mm Meade isn't going to cut it in this, so on top of the $10K+ you are going to need a set of Naglers or Pentax's preferbly Ethos's. Then there's the Paracorr and maybe some expensive collimation aids.

Don't get me wrong it's a mean telescope but is it really that much better then your Meade LB when you put good quality eyepieces in that.

At the end of the day the choice is yours but I personally would want to get the best out of my dob then move on.

Oh lordy... hadn't even thought of that. Next thing, you'll be suggesting I get a radio controlled airplane (bound to end in tears)

What I meant to say was "Start imaging and buy a radio controlled airplane to use whilst waitng for the pics to roll in" sorry should have made myself clear. :icon_eek:

That's the bit that get's me.. One would think that in these days of CNC controlled grinders and precise CAD automation etc you would just be able to design the mirror to be any shape you like.

So, given that the scope could be any price and it would still sell, why not go that extra little bit and design the mirror to have no coma ?

I need to know more about this mirror grinding lark !

They are talking in VERY small tolerances when short focal ratio premium mirrors are concerned. I'm sure they arn't making these coma free f3.7s out of spite....:icon_eek:

I`ve looked through a 22" dob and the views were well.......mind blowing!!! The Veil looked like a photograph!!!! Amazing detail in M33 the list goes on. Obviously you`ll need DARK skies to get the best out of it but if ya have the money, don`t mind assembling it everytime you use it i say GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!

Alan:)

Thanks Mick - as always, your cold bucket of honesty water has made me a little more alert :) Thanks.

Of course, I'd budgeted for some new EP's in there somewhere, but my conundrum is that the stupid side of the brain managed to make this sound like a good idea. As the waiting list is now confirmed as March 2010, I have some time to think about it.

Still love the LB though and perhaps all I need is some good EP's to get the very best out of what I have.

but still....:icon_eek:

Archived