University Optics Ortho EPs - Does anyone have them and do you like them?

I had a thread about this in the equipment help, but the title was not very catchy and it went down without replies.

Basically I read a review placing the inexpensive UO Orthos in a close rank to some of the high end EPs when it comes to planetary observation. Have anyone used some of them? If so, what's your hands on impressions and how do they perform against other high power planetary EPs?

I have the University Optics volcanoe top eyepieces and I like them alot. Yes they have a very narrow FOV but the sharpness makes up for that.

They appear to work alot better in my refractor especially on double stars and planets then in the dob.

For the cost I think they are a bargain.

Well I have a dob. Do you think it's a good buy even for a dob?

I toke some advice before on the cheap Agena EPs and I'm very pleased with them for DSOs. They seam to be the same model as the Orion Q70 with a different label. But now I want to make a planetary kit cause the barlow seams to wash away some of the detail and I won't use it.

i.e.: My 20mm + barlow gives a slightly less sharp image them my 10mm plossl even though the 20 is a better EP overall.

UO orthoscopic eyepieces are great planetary eyepieces. I have the 7mm HD model. The Baader orthoscopics are pretty much identical. The problem you are going to have with a Dob is the small field of view. At the high magnifcations they are designed for, the object is going to drift out of the field of view very quickly.

I have a full range of Orthoscopics and for the money they are unbeatable.

The narrow fov may be an issue but it depnds on the magnfication you go for.

With the 1200mm fl I wuld go for a 12.5 & a 6mm.

Cheers

Ian

I have a full range of Orthoscopics and for the money they are unbeatable.

The narrow fov may be an issue but it depnds on the magnfication you go for.

With the 1200mm fl I wuld go for a 12.5 & a 6mm.

Cheers

Ian

I'm thinking about getting the 10, 6 and 4. maybe I'll switch the 10 for a 12.5. I know the 4mm won't get much use, but at this price I don't mind. It may be good to have 300x available just in case I get an exceptional night.

I came across another forum that says the Japanese factory that makes the EPs for UO sells them directly under the name Kokusai Kohki at an even better price.

I used the original UO Ortho's for about ten years while doing SN Search with a 12" f5. For medium to high magnification they worked very well, good contrast and no ghosting.

Eventually replaced them with TV Plossl's which have done great service for the last 20 years.

I'm thinking about getting the 10, 6 and 4. maybe I'll switch the 10 for a 12.5. I know the 4mm won't get much use, but at this price I don't mind. It may be good to have 300x available just in case I get an exceptional night.

I came across another forum that says the Japanese factory that makes the EPs for UO sells them directly under the name Kokusai Kohki at an even better price.

I've bought stuff from KK before and had no problems. Nice bloke at other end of email. Quick delivery service.

I believe these ortho's are available in the UK, here, Lyra Optic - Eyepieces

Cheers,

Andy.

I've bought stuff from KK before and had no problems. Nice bloke at other end of email. Quick delivery service.

I believe these ortho's are available in the UK, here, Lyra Optic - Eyepieces

Cheers,

Andy.

I think it's decided then. Now I just need to explain my wife that the early xmas gift (the 8" dob) is still missing some parts. :icon_eek:

Edit: Ops, I forgot my manners. Thanks all for the quick replies!

I have one... and have one for sale. Stunning UO quality, crisp, sharp but the FOV in my 1829mm f/l dob is a touch "restrictive". It's 9mm so objects fly by !

They are very very good.

Shame they are not 80degree FOV !

(PM me if you are interested....)

Cheers

If Lyra are out-of-stock, then you may be able to second-source them from Orion Optic [click here] and also (at significantly more expense) from 365astronomy [click here]

- at least those look like the Circle-T Orthos to me in the product photos.

(can't say for sure though...)

Thanks, but I'm gonna order directly from UO. The Dollar is cheap now and I don't pay taxes in Portugal for individual items under 70€.

The "normal" orthos go for 60$(=40€=36£) and the parfocal version goes for 80$(=53€=48£) at current exchange rate.

The Baader orthoscopics are pretty much identical.

Ummm - I think the coatings on the Baaders are better. Certainly my exoerience with the UO orthos is good, but the Baader Genuine Orthos are quite simply the best planetary EPs I've ever used (excellent definition & contrast, minimum of light scatter) with the exception of obsolete and very expensive Zeiss Monocentrics, which have a field of view which makes an ortho's 40-45 degrees seem positively enormous.

Ummm - I think the coatings on the Baaders are better. Certainly my exoerience with the UO orthos is good, but the Baader Genuine Orthos are quite simply the best planetary EPs I've ever used (excellent definition & contrast, minimum of light scatter) with the exception of obsolete and very expensive Zeiss Monocentrics, which have a field of view which makes an ortho's 40-45 degrees seem positively enormous.

Yeah I read the same on a review but found them expensive at the time.

After your comment I did another search and found them on Agena Astro for 99$(67€) each (just +14€ then the UO HD version). Got a 9mm and a 5mm on their way.

Thanks for the advice.

- as in TMB Supermonos? - or do you prefer the BGOs over those?

No but there's not a lot of difference (except in price & field of view). The Zeiss monocentrics are better.

I don't have an ultrashort scope to try this out but I have a suspicion monocentrics will work better with a short focal ratio. And they do have slightly more generous eye relief making them more comfortable in short focal lengths.

The Baader Genuine Ortho may be more Audi than Rolls-Royce but is definitely the best value planetary EP currently available.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived