Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Did anyone see???

johnbaz

at midday today, the program about telescopes on channel 5????

it will be on demand 5 tomorrow more than likely...

it looked really interesting (and educational!!) but i had to go out part way through (sons car broke down again:( )

regards, john:)

EDIT- forgot to say, it was called something like 'big bigger biggest'..

Yes, there was a thread in the Astro Lounge about this programme.

A Heads Up was given that it would be on Channel 5, and it was seen by some members, and enjoyed immensely.

It was primarily about the Large Binocular Telescope, that is capable of seeing stars 9 billion light years distant, and is being used to try to find Exo Planets. Keep checking the Heads Up. It is a sub directory of the Astro Lounge, and gives notice of pending events on TV or elsewhere.

Ron

This is the Channel 5 program Big Bigger Biggest and this weeks episode was on the 'biggest' telescope ,the LBT.

Link is here

Demand Five | watch Big, Bigger, Biggest, Series 2 - episode 10, Telescope

I like this series, it traces the history of the technology leading up to the final invention.

So the story of the LBT starts with Newtons reflector.

Do not miss it.

I enjoyed the programme very much. The idea of "dialing" out the atmospheric turbulance all earth bound telescopes suffer from seems unbelievable but i guess suggesting a telescope with the LBT`s dimensions would have seemed crazy decades ago. ;)

Do you think the special "earth glass" imported from Japan used on the mirror is the same stuff in my Pentax`s?? Oh i do hope so!!:(

Awsome program, thanks for the link.

I have a couple of questions though................ :-)

1) I understand why extremely good quality glass is required for a lens as the light has to pass through. But, a mirror? why the need for such good glass when the light is reflected of the coating on the surface? Surely it is the surface that it important and therefor the glass should have no inclusions, the actual transparencey doesn't really matter. Or am I missing something?

2) How long d'ya think it will it be before we get adaptive optics on amature level scopes, if at all?

Gary

"Sorry this show is for UK audiences only."

Damn... I was looking forward to watch it...

Anyway, did the program mention if the telescope was being developed by Columbus University in Ohio? 'Cause I recently listen to a podcast containing their Astronomy recorded classes, and the teacher mentioned they ware involved in a project with 2 reflector telescopes with 8,5 meters diameter, witch combined would make the widest aperture telescope ever made.

EDIT- forgot to say, it was called something like 'big bigger biggest'..

I watched it and thought it was very accessible (although the excessive 'thunk' noises every time a graphics component slotted into place on its virtual telescope were a bit OTT).

But I suppose they were just trying to make astronomy sound like a macho, techno-pursuit, beloved of well-muscled Yorkie-eaters, instead of us geeks (as if!:icon_eek:).

That's just nit-picking though.

The programme was good. I liked the historical sequence of the telescopes - there was a sense of perspective.

I think they should make a 'big, bigger, biggest' programme about false eyelashes...they could probably get Jordan in it...:)

Archived