Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 150p EQ3-2

FLO

Sometimes changes to a telescope's specification come into affect without notification or fanfare of any sort. Usually the first we hear of it is when a customer notices a contradiction between the description on our website and the actual telescope sitting in his living room.

Today we discovered the Skywatcher Explorer 150p EQ3 now sports a 2" Crayford focuser with Direct SLR connection. That is a pretty significant and worthwhile upgrade to the original 1.25" R&P focuser!

skywatcher_explorer-150P_EQ3-2.jpg

At just a little over £200 we think the Explorer 150p is in a league of its own :(

Now, if they would just do the same for the longer tube Explorer 150pl...

Thanks to Rob for bringing it to our attention ;)

Can you explain the difference over the older model please? I bought this scope about three months ago and heard people talking about wanting a 2" upgrade. But mine looks exactly like the photo above. How can I tell if I have the 2" focuser? I almost went for the 8" purely because people were telling me bad things about the R&P on the 6". But I have been finding the focus perfectly nice... maybe I have had the Crayford all along!?

iamjulian, you probably have the new 2" Crayford. Wind the focuser all the way out and look underneath the drawtube, if it is a flat surface then it is a Crayford, if you see a rack with teeth then you have a R&P focuser.

jah79, unfortunately not. We might be able to obtain the new 2" focuser separately but it would not use the existing screw holes, you would need to drill new ones. Consider also Moonlite focusers, they have an installation kit that fits the 150PL perfectly.

HTH

Thats very interesting Steve!

I have the 150P, I upgraded the 1.25" R&P to a 2" R&P from the 8" version. Neither of which are very good to be honest. I think that they would be acceptable for visual but for imaging not so good.

This upgrade is fantastic! I agree the 150P and the 200 versions are very good value for money.

I've just ordered one of these Moonlite Focusers - MoonLite CR Classic Crayford Focuser for Newtonians for my scope. Which I think is going to be lovely.

Ant

Thanks Steve. What's the biggest reason I'd want to upgrade? Haven't even received my scope yet but already looking at upgrades, argh!! :( Breath deeply...

The Crayford is a smoother and more sturdy focuser that will enable you to use low magnification/wide-field 2" eyepieces and is better able to support the weight of a camera for imaging. For visual use you might decide the standard 1.25" R&P focuser is sufficient.

Steve, is this also true on the tube only version ?

Yes ;)

Archived