Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro OTA

Imaging camera my DSLR for the time being

Guide telescope

Skywatcher Startravel 80

Guide Camera - QHY5

All feedback appreciated.

Regards

John B

looks fine to me but with a nice light weight setup like that i would buy the heq5 pro as it a lot lighter,has lower periodic error and the money you save buy one of those new flattener reducers from FLO. On top of that its a hell of a lot easier to lug around into the garden or to star parties ;)

edit should have read 1st, flattener just like tony said :(

Err flattener - Tell me more ?

I was thinking of mounting side by side, i guess there are pros and cons to that ?

John B

Most scopes have field curvature which doesn't matter a great deal, if at all for observing but you stick a camera on the back, you ideally need a flat field so you don't get odd shaped stars in the corners for example. A flattener erm, flattens the field so you don't get that problem.

I use a side by side setup, mainly because it allows more flexibility. You can use any combination of scopes for guiding and imaging that way unlike piggybacking that tends to be setup for two specific scopes.

Tony..

But gives you no room to upgrade

Stick with the EQ6...worry about the field flattener later (or maybe get a cooled CCD)

Ed80 - yes

ST80 - yes

QHY5 - Yes (can be bettered, but great for the money)

EQ6 - untouchable for the money and PEC...when you're guiding...who cares..?

Nick i am not saying that an heq6 will not give you tight stars, they are a very good mount i have had a few of them, when you want to put a bit more load on they are about the best value for money mount on the market. what i asked you was ;)

Nick does lower pe not give smoother guiding which means tighter stars ?

This is a good list - stick with the EQ6 for future-proofing. I use a William Optics 0.8 FR III field flattener/focal reducer on my ED80 and this combination goes a long way towards resolving the field flattening with my CCD (which has the same sized sensor as a typical DSLR).

You will love the results from the ED80!

That will be a great set up John. As Steve suggests, the EQ6 is overkill at this stage and is a bit more to lug around. An HEQ5 would perform very well, would allow some upgrading and be easier to cart around but an EQ6 will give you extra "future proofing". Either way, you're onto a winner

Simialr to the solar set-up I have:

two ED80's on a dual bar, one white light filtered the other with a double stack SM60/BF15 but mine is on a HEQ5pro - much easier to lug around!

I can also mount the 8" sct +st80 (piggyback)+QHY5+ spectroscope on the HEQ5pro, but have had to sell goodies to buy a NEQ6pro to mount the 10" sct + spectroscope.... so the moral of the story, if there is one, I could have saved $$$ by going to the NEQ6pro first.

( It's a LOT heavier to move around on its own, than the loaded HEQ5pro!!!)

Anyway, I now have the options of leaving them both set-up ready for use....clouds, rain, locusts, etc permitting.

I'd say if you're reasonably fit then go for the EQ6 for the futureproofing advantages.

See what it's like to move one about if you can. If you don't find it a problem, then fine. Othewise go for the the EQ5.

Re. periodic error, it is true that the greater the PE, the more guide commands will be issued, but unless the PE is really bad, if your guiding is correctly set up, then in practice it will have no detrimental effect.

Have fun with the setup, whatever choice you make ;)

Cheers

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, order my kit tomorrow, im splitting the purchase over two months, so the visual stuff this month and the Guide Scope and Camera etc, next month, so tomorow i order the following :rolleyes:

Mount

Skywatcher EQ6 PRO Synscan

Visual & Imaging telescope

Skywatcher Explorer 200P OTA

MoonLite CR Dual Rate tri-knob Crayford Focuser for Newtonians

Moonlite Installation kit for Newtonian focusers

As per another thread I have im still not quite sure on which EP's to go for.

Thanks to all for the advice I have recieved.

Regards

John B

Archived