Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade Lightbridge Observing report as of 11.10.2009 (First light report UWAN's)

Doc

Meade Lightbridge 16" F4.5 FL 1829mm

Observing from back garden

No Moon

4.0 Mag skies.

This was my first proper night of observing since I received my William Optics Uwan's from FLO. I collimated my scope during the day with my new Hotech Laser Collimator which turned out to be a very easy task indeed. Collimation throughout the night was very good with pin point stars from the centre outwards to about the last 20% then the stars took on the shape of little comets. I think a Paracorr or a Mpcc will be my next purchase.

First on my list of objects to see was the Globular Cluster Ngc 7006 in Delphinus, this is one of the furthest clusters from Earth lying approximately 135,000 light years away. In shines with a magnitude of only 10 and is small at 2.8' in diameter. I was amazed when this globular cluster appeared in my 28 Uwan's fov at x65, it appeared as a very dim and slightly round blob. No stars were resolved at all in the 28 uwan. In the 16 uwan at x114 the cluster was still unresolvable but you could easily make about the globular shape amoung the rather sparse field it lays in. The 7 uwan at x 261 seemed to be to much power for the seeing at that moment.

Staying in Delphinus I found the slightly bigger and brighter Globular Cluster Ngc6934. A much better cluster then Ngc7006 and easily recognisable in the 28 Uwan. This cluster lies within a rich and varied star field and the outer stars were resolved slightly in the 16 Uwan at x114. Very pretty and one I will revisit once in a while.

Next was a very small 0.3' x 0.2' Planetry Nebula in Hercules called Ngc6210. It took me a long time to eventually capture this one. In my 28 Uwan which has a field of view of 1.26° I could not see no sign of the planetry nebula I spent ages to no avail sweeping the area. I then placed the 16 Uwan in which has a field of view of 0.72° and after a little scanning around I came across what looked like an out of focus star, it seemed to be very bright and had a very slight blue tint to it. To confirm this I placed in the Baader O111 filter and the planetary nebula instantly became more visible. The object takes magnification very well indeed and by inserting the 7 Uwan I was greeted by a lovely bright blue round disk shape but no other details were seen.

Now onto my favourite the Veil Nebula, I have yet to see this through the 82° fov of my 28 Uwan so just couldn't wait. Centering the scope on 52 Cygni and inserting the O111 and 28mm into the focuser I was stunned at what I saw, it looked exactly like the Witch's broom looks like in photo's you could see the nubulous tendrails extending from north to south and you could even make out slight details within the knots of the nebula. I could fit the entire Ngc 6960 inside the 28 Uwan's field of view at 1.26°. This was simply awesome and the best view to date of this amazing

object.

I then moved the scope over to the Western part of the Veil called Ngc6995, this part of the veil simply jumped out at me, the curved structure was very evident and it consisted of so many swirls and knots it just bowled me over. Once again the complete curved portion fitted the 28 Uwan fov just perfectly. Once again an amazing sight and one I will never forget.

Over to M57 next in the constellation Lyra, the Ring Nebula, it is probably the finest example of a planetary nebula anywhere in the sky. It was formed when a star about the size of the Sun neared the end of its life cycle and shed its outer shell of hydrogen gas. This shell of material is illuminated by the remains of the star, known as a white dwarf, in the centre. Its age is estimated at about 5,500 years. Its distance from Earth is not very well known. With the 28mm still connected to the O111 filter I had the best view I've ever had, this combination of eyepiece and filter is a match made in heaven and one I know I'll use time after time. I then tried the 16 Uwan and O111 and I could clearly see through the ring into the space behind it. The difference between the inner surface of the ring and the background was striking. But still no centre star was visible, I then tried the 7mm and still no central star, finally I tried the 4 Uwan which gives me a mag of x457, well of course the image was very dark and jumpy but I managed to keep the dob tracking and at this mag you are able to see right inside the donut and I'm almost sure but not 100% that I saw very flirting views of the central star. I then compared views with and without the O111 filter and the differene is amazing, it really does pop out with the filter in place.

Next onto the Andromeda galaxies M31, M32 and M110 all three stood out wonderfully. This is where I compared eyepieces, the M110 galaxy is pretty hard to spot as it only has a surface brightness of mag 14, in my Baader 21mm eyepiece I always had difficulty with this one but in the 28 Uwan it was easy, there was simply so much more contrast which made the galaxy appear bolder.

Over to Aquilla now and I mopped up some more objects from the Herschel 400 list namely an Open Cluster Ngc 6755 and Ngc 6756. Both these clusters lie in a very close to one another. Ngc6755 is a very modest cluster which included at least 20 stars all pretty small. North of this cluster lies Ngc6756 which appears as a very small condensed cluster that at first glance appears slight globular in appearence, it is pretty small at 4.0' and shines with a magnitude of 10.6.

Staying in Aquilla I went hunting for a Ngc6781 a very small 1.9' x 1.8' planetary nebuka with a magnitude of 12.8. This nebula is invisble with the naked eye while using the 28mm and the 16mm Uwan's. Once I fitted the O111 filter to the 16 Uwan the object suddenly appears. It looks slightly oblong in shape and appears as a grey smudge with no structure visible. Even so it was a fantastic object to view.

Another object I tested against the Baader Hyperion 21mm was Ngc404 also called Mirach's Ghost due to it's close proximty to Beta Andromeda. In the Baader this just wasn't fully seen but in the 16 Uwan it was so evident it made me gasp in surprise. It appears as a bright halo like a reflection, no structure was seen.

Next I headed to the Northern skies for a look at Bodes Galaxies, first time in the 28 Uwan and I wasn't dissappointed, both galaxies looked amazing. Through the 16 Uwan M81 at 12.5 million years distant looked fantastic, I studied this for some time and eventually I detected an actual spiral type shape from it, first time I have ever seen this, it was very dim and maybe some of my own visions were getting in the way but I'm sure I detected slight spirals. M82 on the other hand lies 12 million light years away and appeared as a bright elongated smudge with a brighter core, no structure was seen in this one.

To round the night off I looked at M45 the Pleiades, this cluster is so big I couldn't fit into the 1.26° fov of the 28 Uwan. Simply stunning with nebulosity detected around the main stars it was a wonderful view.

Well for my first night with the William Optics Uwans I was impressed. Compared to the Baader Hyperions the Uwan's are definetly a step up, the difference is the contrast the WO's have over the Baaders. The 28 Uwan and the Baader O111 filter is a mighty combination and one I'm never going to forget.

Doc

I also love your report. So much detail compared to my lists. Some fine objects seen. I am interested that your WO were better than the hyperons which receive so much praise.

Glad you like them.

Last night was a stunner. It could have only been better if there had been a power cut.

I am awaiting another bargin eyepiece. A paradigm 25mm with ED glass. Less than £30 on ebay so we shall see.

I find it facinating to compare lenses from a DSO point of view. It is odd that sometimes the 9mm Orion expanse gives a good view and the 6.4mm super plossl is less distinct but most of the time it is the other way around.

I am beginning to think the less glass the more contrast. Some of these posh lenses have so many pieces of glass it is difficult for them to compete with a plossl or ortho..How many lenses in the WO?

Mark

Fantastic report - and I'm hoping your flirtations with that central star were repeatable. Sounds like there is not much else on your to-do list in the EP dept now and what with the Paracorr on it's way (Santa ?) the set up is nearly complete.

Next time you are out, try for NGC1 and NGC 2 - I'd be impressed if you could get them from your skies (they were just visible from the LB at Kelling in both my 16" and another 18")

PS - saw 6781 from Kelling with no OIII - and I'll bet that in darker skies, you would have a ball with that OIII

Nice one Mick

Another great list of targets Mick. Sounds like you enjoyed those new EPs. I notice you have mag 4 skies - do you ever get the chance to take your 16" scope to darker skies?

Very rare maybe twice plus Salisbury Star Party. This is where my observing is let down as my skies are to light polluted to see many galaxies.

Out of curiosity did the Hotech pass the star test then?

carl

Carl the hotech was a pleasure to use. I doubled checked with the cheshire and all seemed OK. The star test had the central obstruction pretty much bang in the centre.

How many lenses in the WO?

4, 7 and 16 Uwan have 7/4lenses. The 28 Uwan have 6/4 lenses.

Next time you are out, try for NGC1 and NGC 2 - I'd be impressed if you could get them from your skies (they were just visible from the LB at Kelling in both my 16" and another 18")

My skies are way to polluted to see these Steve. Thats why I almost always stay on Pn's, OC and GC's.

And thanks Sam and Mark for your kind words :D

By the end of a week he'd have eaten his own limbs off and would be starting on mine! I wouldn't be able to set me scope up with no arms, so I'd better save up the old fashioned way....*sigh*

But if I get the cheap one I can get it now......but then I might regret it and wish I'd got the Baader......ooh this is so hard......maybe I can spare just one arm?

Wonderful report, i envy your views of the Veil. ;)

"I'm almost sure but not 100% that I saw very flirting views of the central star"

Here's what one of my mentors taught me..

If you thought you saw it once, it's a 'maybe'.

If you thought you saw it twice, it's a 'probably'.

If you thought you saw it three or more times, you bagged it. :)

So how many times was it Mick?

I have a feeling congratulations are in order. :)

Anyone who hasn't got an OIII filter, it is highly recommended you get one!

I'm planning to add a UHC to my collection too.

This astronomy malarky is expensive!!

Thank you Mick for taking the time to write a detailled and rich observation report. I don't linger on threads that long - but I've taken my time on this one - checking the objects you have seen on Google. Not just enjoyable, but incredibly informative.

Somehow it bothers me (and it doesn't seem fair) that your telescope isn't performing to the best of it's capabilities most of the time, due to light pollution. Here's hoping you'll get to study under much darker skies one day. ;)

Anyone who hasn't got an OIII filter, it is highly recommended you get one!

I'm planning to add a UHC to my collection too.

This astronomy malarky is expensive!!

Thank you Mick for taking the time to write a detailled and rich observation report. I don't linger on threads that long - but I've taken my time on this one - checking the objects you have seen on Google. Not just enjoyable, but incredibly informative.

Somehow it bothers me (and it doesn't seem fair) that your telescope isn't performing to the best of it's capabilities most of the time, due to light pollution. Here's hoping you'll get to study under much darker skies one day. :)

Thanks Sam and Carol. Btw carol I saw it twice so it's a maybe.

Sam a long time go I had a 10" Dob and found it really difficult to see objects due to light pollution so my theory was more aperture to cut through the light pollution. many people said this is not the answer and I agreed to a point but bought my LB anyway and it practise it works.

The extra 6" really does enable you to see alot of stuff, but I still suffer from not being able to see galaxies very well.

I will get out to darker skies one day ;)

Archived