Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Does anyone know what this is/does?

iancandler

Whilst we where rummaging through my brothers box of bits we came across this..(see pics below)

it looks like a 1.25 diagonal and is constructed of metal with a rear section that flips down.

Inside is what looks like plain glass. We cant fathom out what its used for so...Any ideas??<br>

Picture019.jpg<br>

Picture018.jpg<br>

Remembering back to my grade 10 physics, a prism diagonal takes advantage of a phenom known as "Total internal reflection" which causes light coming in one of the flat faces of a 90 degree prism to be totally reflected off the 45 degree face and out the other flat side of the prism. All of it, other than what is absorbed by the glass. You don't need a silver coating on the back of the prism. I can't imagine why it has that drop down panel on the back. Try pointing it at a star and looking through the back.

Archived