NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greetings from Peterborough

vegas

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on these boards for the past few months, but thought i'd finally say hello and sign up!

I got my first proper scope (not including childhood memories of looking at the moon with my dad) a few months ago. I opted for the SW 130PM. Im struggling still with the EQ mount, though wish to persevere as my goal eventually is to delve into DSO astrophotography.

Currently Im still learning the sky, I've got my little routine of checking out Jupiter, M31, M13 and the moon. I also enjoy staying up late and waiting for pleiades to show up. Cant wait for Orion to start heading out a little earlier.. as my back garden doesnt get the view until about 3am at the mo.

I tried to find the ring nebula tonight, but utterly failed and am gutted as it was the first clear night for a while and i was so determined!!!

Still, i've got all the basics, "turn left at orion" and Star Walk on my Iphone, so here's hoping i'll find it soon.

Anyway just wanted to say it seems like this is a really nice corner of the internet and I cant wait to speaking to you all soon.

Cheers

Stuart

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL, Stuart. :)

Don't give up on the Ring.. it needs high power in order to look like the images. Basically it looks like a fuzzy star, and you were probably looking right at it but didn't recognize it. Start out with low power and slowly increase it after you're certain you've got the Ring in the fov. Eventually you'll see a bigger fuzzy star, then a glowing ring, and with high enough power the circle will begin to elongate a bit.

An O-III filter will help if you've got bad light pollution. My sky is pretty dark, but the Ring's easy to see under the glare of a Full Moon. (I know viewing DSOs under a Full Moon sounds mad :D , but it's the only way i can simulate the light pollution most Amateurs need to deal with.)

Hi Stuart, welcome to the forum, I also have the 130PM, and had a few niggles when i started, persevere and you will find what you're looking for, I can see the Ring clearly with my scope (once i found it) and have also successfully found the Dumbbell nebula and some other fainter objects.

I'm reasonably local to you (in Raunds, just down the A45) and we have a local society that meets twice monthly in Chelveston and Wellingborough - look for the Nene Valley Astronomy Society on this forum as I'm sure some of our members will be able to help out, as will I if you wish.

Matt

Hello Stuart and welcome to the forum. Another useful bit of kit is the (free) software planetarium programme 'Stellarium' Stellarium You can learn the sky even when its cloudy. You can also zoom in to see planets and DSOs. The Ring nebuala is a tricky one and I find it best to wait for a dark, clear night without a moon. Plenty of other bright globulars about as well as M13. Try M2 and M15 just off to the right of the great square of Pegasus. Also loads of beautiful open clusters like the ones in Auriga.

Greetings Stuart, and a warm welcome to the SGL forum, without doubt the best astronomy group to be found anywhere.

Lots of very friendly folk here, and more than willing to help if you need any. Enjoy your scope, and I hope you get many cloud free nights.

Ron.:D

Hi ya Stuart and welcome to SGL

I'm also in Peterborough, congratulations on getting your new scope, It's not easy finding things but stick with it mate I'm sure you'll get there.

(Easy for me to say, I use goto) :D

Hello Stuart,

I'm just to the south-east of Peterborough and the Ring Nebula is one of my favourite sights. Turn left at Orion helped me find it the first time between Sulafat and Sheliak just below Vega in the summer triangle.

Fingers crossed for some clear skies for the Peterborough Posse :D

Hi Stuart - welcome to the forum and keep hunting down M57. Someone once wrote that it looks like a ghostly fat tyre and that image has burnt itself in my memory. It's well worth the effort, but for a bigger target you ought to find M27. Noe that's a lot bigger !

Greetings Stuart...

I am in Deeping & I now go to the PAS in Castor. They will be re-locating in the New Year (I think)... somewhere in Bretton if the last I heard is correct.

It's a shame you missed the last one as Ralph Bell was giving a talk about Telescopes...

Which EQ mount did you get with the 130?

Phil

Greetings Stuart...

I am in Deeping & I now go to the PAS in Castor. They will be re-locating in the New Year (I think)... somewhere in Bretton if the last I heard is correct.

It's a shame you missed the last one as Ralph Bell was giving a talk about Telescopes...

Which EQ mount did you get with the 130?

Phil

Hi Phil,

I have the EQ2 mount, I'm slowly getting to grips with it, I now just wish I'd spent more time concentrating on maths and science, all those years ago, I'm sure they would have come in handy when trying to work out some of the controls on the mount haha! I will try and get down to the November meet.

@ Twotter, I too live south east of the city, Yaxley to specific, I think seeing I'm on the brink of such a large LP zone my skies here are quite good. I am tempted to pack up my gear and trundle down the road to Holme fen, as the skies I'm sure will be amazing, just need to get brave now and be out and about on my tod!

Archived