Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Barnards Star - the show continues ...

661-pete

Yup it's still moving! :D

Continued from [thread=65731]here[/thread]

I'm adding one frame a year, as long as I'm able to continue (I worked out that at this rate it would take half a million years to film Gone with the Wind). I was worried I wouldn't get it in this year, being unable to get at the 'scope most of the summer, but finally got my chance on 16th Sept (Barnard's star is in Ophiuchus). So the three frames are dated: 14-Aug-07, 29-Jul-08, 16-Sept-09 (not quite equal spacing but close enough). The last frame was 13*1minute, with the modded 350D (which is why it's a bit redder than the first two frames taken before the camera was modded), otherwise the setup the same for the three frames. Stacked and aligned in ImagesPlus. Sorry the star shapes are a bit skewy. Have fun!

post-14835-133877403693_thumb.gif

ooooh, that's remarkable. Nice animation. Where is the star going? How come it doesnt move with the rest?

"Barnards Runaway Star". It has the fastest Proper Motion of any known star Tim. It's a red giant just under six light years from earth, and it moves 10.3 arc seconds a year, and it's magnitude 9 which is too dim for naked eye visibility. Not sure where it's heading though, Wiki didn't say.

Ron.:D

Thanks, all. I will do my best to keep at it, if I am spared!

ooooh, that's remarkable. Nice animation. Where is the star going? How come it doesnt move with the rest?
"Barnards Runaway Star". It has the fastest Proper Motion of any known star Tim. It's a red giant??? just under six light years from earth, and it moves 10.3 arc seconds a year, and it's magnitude 9 which is too dim for naked eye visibility. Not sure where it's heading though, Wiki didn't say.

Ron.:D

Dwarf, you mean of course! Now a Red Giant within 7 LY of us - that would be something special!

I believe its headed for the North Polar region, UMi or thereabouts, where it will be in about 10,000 years and will then be the closest star to the Solar System at about 3LY - but still too dim for the naked eye. It's not on a collision course with us, it will then start to recede. I think it's a genuine member of our local spiral arm, so what we're seeing is its orbital motion around the Galaxy at an unusually favourable angle. All the other stars in the field are of course much further away, and with no discernible PM at this scale.

Thanks, all. I will do my best to keep at it, if I am spared!

Dwarf, you mean of course! Now a Red Giant within 7 LY of us - that would be something special!

HehHehHeh! Just seeing if you were awake.

Of course, It should be Dwarf, I tried ro remember what I read in Wikipedia, and got it wrong.:D

Archived