Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Salisbury Plain Observing Group

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right... since I've never met any of you - can you look out for me in the bar? I'm 6'8", wear glasses and will be accompanied by a 5'4" redhead (long wavy hair). We shouldn't be too difficult to spot :)

Anyone care to PM me a mobile number JUST in case?

I've been thinking about you guys and wondering how you got on.

It was pretty clear in Melksham earlier while I was at work, but when I got home at 10.30 it had hazed over....got an hour or so in the front garden with the 12", but the cloud crept in from all round the edges!

Did you do any viewing or did you end up in the pub, or both?? lol

I am sorry to have not been able to attend on this occasion, maybe next time, eh?

Steph

We got some observing in before the clouds rolled in at 11ish. We all headed off at 11:40ish as the moon was coming up and the end of the clouds was not in sight. Still, managed to try GP's 8mm Ethos (thanks GP) in my 12" dob. Hmm... to spend more on one eyepiece than the 'scope... yes, definitely maybe :)

Both I and Ms arad85 will be attending future gatherings :)

Myself, Dave, Charlie and A Ninja stayed until 1.45 ish and enjoyed watching the moon getting higher in the sky, one of the jovian moons disappearing behind Jupiter, dumbbell, M71 and M13 through varying amounts of haze. It was pretty clear when I got home at 0200 but I was pretty tired and didn't set up - and I knew the kids would be up early doors!

Next time White Sheet hill near Stourhead on the Friday nearest full moon?

Mark

PS Taking young Dave up in the glider tomorrow so quite an action packed weekend.

PPS Must think of a name as well, how about Sarum Starers?

Ahh.. apologies Mark, you were talking about giving up when we left. No idea where White Sheet Hill is though, but easily doable to Stourhead. Do your really mean nearest FULL moon :) surely nearest the new moon - which would make it Fri 16th Oct or Fri 23rd if weather stops 16th...?

We'd probably be OK for Thurs, Fri or Sat nights, although Helen does a course on Thursday nights until 9:00.

Name: How about SPOG... Wiltshire Observing Group doesn't have such a pleasing acronym :)

Glad it went well folks. I look forward to the next one.

I was wrecked, and my sleep pattern was totally messed up too: I woke at 0300 and came down stairs for two hours of observing on my own...orion and its constituents were clear though spoiled slightly by the bright moon. casseiopea was also a treat.

I got back to bed at five and fell asleep till after nine. Stupid job.

David

Archived