Narrowband

Salisbury Plain Observing Group

Hi all,

Having met a number of you at Salisbury Star Party who are keen to meet up for some dark observing on the Plain, I propose that we meet at the Rose and Crown SP3 4RX in Tilshead on, say, Friday 11 September at 8pm (last quarter moon). I have found a good observing site a few miles up the road that is easy to get to and well sheltered from the military road by a small wood that will block car headlights. Of course, if the weather is bad, we can have a sociable time in the pub instead!

Look forward to meeting you again.

Mark

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to be rostered off that night, so sshould be able to make it.

I also like a completely UN club style: just a group, as in the title. In my experience, clubs get rules, rules get enforcers and then I usually head south, so to speak.

See you on Friday with me scope!

I'll bring a flask...who's on biccy duty???

ps if anyone has a green laser, i'd love to see one in action.

David

I seem to be rostered off that night, so sshould be able to make it.

I also like a completely UN club style: just a group, as in the title. In my experience, clubs get rules, rules get enforcers and then I usually head south, so to speak.

See you on Friday with me scope!

I'll bring a flask...who's on biccy duty???

ps if anyone has a green laser, i'd love to see one in action.

David

I have one and will bring it along :grin: hmm am sure charlii can sort out some biccies too :) (she says jaffa cakes and hopnobbs) we will both see you all there :)

GReat, see you all there and looking forward to those biscuits. I think it would be worth having half an hour in the pub before we go to the site to agree the format of the group. Please invite anyone else who may be interested to come too. The more the merrier - within limits!!

In response to the last two posts:

Steph,

I am keen to collate everyone's views on the best way forwards. If you don't mind me asking, are Friday's always bad for you or would Thursday's be more suitable? I only ask because meeting on a Thursday may be more suitable for us.

Astrokat,

If the weather is bad then it would be a purely pub based social. It would also be a useful time to meet everyone and hear views on the best way forwards.

Regards,

Mark

Steph,

I am keen to collate everyone's views on the best way forwards. If you don't mind me asking, are Friday's always bad for you or would Thursday's be more suitable? I only ask because meeting on a Thursday may be more suitable for us.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I will be tied up every Friday but may be available on Thursdays if I know a little in advance what the date will be. I seem to be pulling all the graveyard shifts at the mo, but am not contracted to do the Thursday.

Steph

Arad85 - I think getting partners involved can only lead to them getting a better understanding of where and why we spend (ahem)so little on our hobby. You never know, with a little bit of encouragement they maybe enticed into taking a greater involvement which can only be a good thing. My wife (Steph aka Dobserver) was not interested at all,,one star party later and she now has a 12" Dobsonian...

Hi DK,

Maybe I'm lucky. I'm met with nothing but encouragement - it's my hobby, and I can spend my money on it (which is how I ended up with a 12" dob, a C9.25, 80ED and 450D.. all in about 3 months :D ). I'm just wondering if other partners will be there - a field full of astro nerds talking astro stuff will probably probably do more harm than good :) On the other hand, if there are a couple of other ladies there..........

Hi DK,

I'm just wondering if other partners will be there - a field full of astro nerds talking astro stuff will probably probably do more harm than good :D On the other hand, if there are a couple of other ladies there..........

That is the exact perception my wife had of our hobby,, Darrens excellent Salisbury Star Party soon put paid to that lol.

Hey Mark - just thought I'd drop you a note to say thanks for the top advice of the Sky and Telescope pocket observers guide - it is perfect and if it wasn't for meeting you @ SSP, I would have never seen it in action. Coming to the Salisbury meetings, whilst they are not far away on the map, it took me "forever" to get home but I would be interested in future meets. Not only for the dark skies, but more importantly, for the great company !

Cheers.

Steve

That's my take on it too...really great people at SSP..gutted I can't make this one to be honest, but it's just too much travelling on one day to get back from London to home, and then out again..plus, have some kit to review, and if we have these clear nights, that has to get done.

Plus....MrsH has no interest in astronomy really.. apart from evey xmas/birthday getting me astro related stuff as pressies..

Archived