Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did anyone catch any then?

blinky

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw 9, two good ones, and captured 4 on the camera over an hour or so on Tuesday... all been posted up, along with the startrails of the stack of images I took.. I figured I might as well use them for something :)

What do you guys think about the odds of seeing some tonight? Predicted clear skies all night down here in S Wales so I was thinking about taking myself outside for a couple of hours. Does the ZHR reduce dramatically after the peak, or is there a chance of seeing a few Perseids, conditions permitting?

Typically, tonight we have very clear sky. Casseopia has yet to rise within view (low haze to the horizon). I borrowed the binoculars from the control room and had a wee gander at Jupiter, saw one of the moons (dunno which one!) but have no means to attach them to a tripod, so back they went. I'll keep popping out to see what, if anything, I can see. Still hoping to snag one on the xd card though.

A friend and I went to Mugdock Country Park just north of Glasgow and saw about 15 per hour! Really bright ones aswell! It was suprisingly busy with loads of people there. Its really great to see something like that bringing a community together!

The weather was actually fantastic from about 11 til 1, but it was just the moon that ruined the viewing!

Still thought it a success though!

Should be able to see some tonight, i imagine there will be about 25 per hour or so if you are in dark enough skies!

Stacey

that's it SP, always look on the bright side :) what's the weather looking like for you this evening? Hope you manage to see something... even if it's just one meteor! I saw an amazing meteor the other night, very long blue/white trail heading down through the Summer Triangle.

Well the weather for here has been forcast as partly cloudy so we will see what that actually means when the time comes!:)

I found between 12 and 1 last night to be the time when the meteors seem to peak for the night, it was really beautiful.

Just unfortunate about the moon, but even seeing a few makes you happy you spent the time waiting!

Good luck with tonight!

I sat out in the garden with my son on the reclining chairs and we saw about 25 or so in about an hour and a half, then the moon came up and hazy cloud started increasing and we called it a night.

Forecast for this area tonight isnt too good with heavy rain moving in overnight and persisting through the weekend.

I enjoyed just lying there gazing at the heavens while my son bombarded me with questions about space and time etc :)

that's it SP, always look on the bright side :) what's the weather looking like for you this evening? Hope you manage to see something... even if it's just one meteor! I saw an amazing meteor the other night, very long blue/white trail heading down through the Summer Triangle.

Sounds gorgeous - you have got to be looking in the right place at the right time to see them in such detail. :eek: I have seen a few meteors whilst observing, when I last had a clear night (um, ages ago?)

The weather in my area...both Mess-O and Met Check say lots of cloud.:) My kids said to me this morning we need to move to a mountain somewhere or invent a two mile long telescope..........:p

Actually thinking about it - Wales is having a nice clear night.....an hour's drive and I'd be somewhere in the centre....hmmm, where's me tent?

I didnt bother taling any photos. Tuesday night we all sat out in the tub and saw around 20 all told, including a couple of non persieds.

The perseids themselves were pretty bright, and a few left good smoke trails.

10 till 12pm on Tuesday night up on the hills with some freinds.... saw 12 meteors lol. A great laugh tho.. was nice to be able to do a little 'tour of the sky' with the lazer pen for some strangers :-).

Matt

Well done getting the image. If you think about it the odds of getting the camera pointing exactly in the right place where a meteor will happen to pass in the seconds that the shutter is open is quite small.

The shower carries on for sometime yet and will the Moon getting out of the way the fainter meteors should be visible too.

Mike

I saw a few on tuesday night and got out last night between 11 and 12 and saw 12 in about 40 mins. 5 bright ones (although 1 was not a perseid).

1 of note was at about 11:50 in the west long bright and horizontal with the horizon...ish.

It was a very good night but seems to be very hazy here in the very hot weather I suppose that affects the seeing..

Neil C

Was planning on heading out to a dark site with some friends and a pack of beers. Well, the friends bailed so we didn't go but I did catch a really bright one on the off-chance after going home from the pub.

Archived