NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 - 26th July 2009

Starflyer

Here's my first attempt at M31 taken from around 1:30 this morning.

WO66SD / WO 0.8x reducer flattener / Canon 450D / IDAS LP filter

EQ6 pro guided with the WO 80FD / QHY5

15 x 7min subs, darks, flats and bias

Stacked with DSS and levels / curves in Photoshop.

The transparency wasn't very good and I can see the image needs more subs but it's another small step up the learning curve ladder :)

starflyer-albums-starflyer-s-dso-album-picture2225-m31-26th-july-2009.jpg

Cheers,

Ian

Ian, that is beautiful. You have captured the majesty, those dust lanes are showing nicely too. I think more subs would be a good idea, if you have the time (and clear sky) but it's looking really good to me. How high up was it when you imaged? I am desperate to have my first look at M31, particularly after seeing your image, it looks huge!!

Thanks for the kind comments :)

I had to wait for it to clear the house next door, so I think it must have been about 45º when I started. I don't remember how high it was at 3:30 am when in a sleepy daze my phone woke me up to go and shut it all down :D

As said, this is really good for the time of year, loads of detail coming through.

Just keep on adding to it, you'll be surprised how big M31 grows with lots of exposure.

Nice going!

Well done on the M31 Ian, its a cracker...... Well done on becoming a moderator as well, a lot has happened since my last vistit to SGL. Now that the darker skies are returning I'll be in and around here more often.

Gary

Archived