NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi From New SkyWatcher127 in Glasgow

AztecastroMcJ

Hey there bought my 1st ever scope 27/5/09, so far had great time wen not cloudy ! 1st week used my Goto scope manually as i was awaiting power tanks arrival,this took a bit of practise, but was great wen i got powertank as makes everthing alot easier for finding n tracking.

Started of using all my ep's and barlow combinations on moon, also learnt all stars in big dipper and started to recognise the brighter stars in other constellations such as Arcturus, and summer triangle Vega,Deneb n Altair then i got more confident :)

So Far managed to view Moon WOW, Saturn, Jupiter with its 4 moons WOW, Venus, Neptune, plus

d.stars Mizar,Albireo(my fav),Cygnus 61,Rasalgethi n few others

also managed to view M92 n M13 Clusters

More recently i have been able to get views of M57 Ring Nebula (superb looked like grey smoke ring)and my latest success was seeing M31 andromeda galaxy although i think this must have been brighter core region as it was fairly small in my 25mm ep.

I have learned alot in my 1st few weeks and i still have lots more to learn and find and view.

Think Goto Scope is Great esp all the info it has tells u rise and set times, mag, constellation, distance, it even tells u size of clusters and seperation of d.stars also has outside temp and sidereal time.

Still not tried some other features like pointing accuracy enhancement, as it seems very accurate after basic quick 2star alignment which can be done in few minutes.

Still dont have any planisphere or sky map or magazine, instead i was using Heaven's Above Site at 1st and recently added Stellarium and virtual Moon Atlas, most other research is done on wikpedia or other astro sites.

Almost forgot have also been successful in taking some pics with my K800i Sony Erricsson 3mp Mobile Phone and even managed a couple of videos. Unbelievably wen checkin one of vids i somehow managed to capture plane passing in front of moon in last few sec of video, overall pics are way better than i thought.

hope 2 see lots more great sights in next few months and looking forward to darker skys and longer nights. (and Orion)

Regards James

post-16858-133877385459_thumb.png

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey James.

Great to see that you have so much enthusiasm (kinda hard when there is so many cloudy nights) and you have already come onto astrophotography!! soooo addictive and rewarding!! All you need now is a DSLR and your flying! Great choice on scope aswell :) I changed from a Meade ETX125 but found (A) The optics on my skywatcher are so much better and (:) it is so much easier to use!!

Keep it up buddy and keep praying for clear skies!!

Dave.

Hi and welcome, the GOTO of the skywatcher is great aint it. I got the same syncscan, but I got the Explorer 130P reflector on the mount. Until I get a power pack, I have been using a 12v mains adaptor (tip positive) to power the goto as I find it is more accurate tracking with a constant power supply.

Have fun and nice pic.

hi everyone thx for welcome

heres the picture i should of attached originally (Doh)

this is still frame taken of video i shot through my mobile phone,

this one is slightly better than above one as not as much distortion and is actually crossing moon :)

post-16858-133877385674_thumb.png

Hey James!

Just checked the invoice on my skymax 127 goto...27/5/09! Love the plane vid that is so cool! Must try my camera phone too i'm amazed how good your moon pics are. Now if you could film a UFO crashing into the moon.......... ;-)

The skymax is my first scope too! Have you tried any DSO's? Got myself a 32mm plossl and managed to view a couple of nebula the other night. Keep posting those pics!

Hey James!

Just checked the invoice on my skymax 127 goto...27/5/09! Love the plane vid that is so cool! Must try my camera phone too i'm amazed how good your moon pics are. Now if you could film a UFO crashing into the moon.......... ;-)

The skymax is my first scope too! Have you tried any DSO's? Got myself a 32mm plossl and managed to view a couple of nebula the other night. Keep posting those pics!

Cool same scope same day :)

where u get urs from and how much upay?

got mine from Telescope Planet for £365 included with 25mm n 10 mm ep's plus Sw moon filter also got extra 7mm Kson ep and sw deluxe barlow included in package price great value i think as seen OTA sells for 280 alone :)

Yeh just starting with nebula n fainter objects like galaxies n clusters 2, so far viewed more DSO's than i thought i would (M57, M3, M31,M13 n M92) considering i'm using scope in my back garden(not ideal for light pollution) and lighter summer skys dont help either. (cant wait to see difference in some darker skies)

Great having Goto for these fainter objects although i found some dont automatically appear in eyepiece they will be just noticeable in my finderscope so i then have to manually slew to them to view in eyepiece.

Thinking of adding sum new accessories def getting dew shield

n prob 32mm ep aswell not decided which one yet though.

Maybe get few other things aswell depends on budget not sure yet.

Whats ur 32mm like/make/cost ?

regards James

Hi james and welcome,

looks like you will be getting quite involved in photography at this rate,

some very good pictures on this site and some great photographers as well.

regards ron.s.g

thx ron, yeh prob will eventually get some type of camera dont think i'll get DSLR though

more interested in either imaging camera like Dmk cheapest model,or Minitron frame integration video camera,

not going to rush into it though few other things to buy 1st, plus like to learn sky bit better 2

need to start saving i think

regards James

I have the skymak 127 and am considering buying the GOTO mount seperatley, it sounds very good

yes its great dont think i would have found half Messier objects i have seen without it in such small space of time

(i've learned to find M57 manually aswell though)

so while in a sense i feel like im cheating it also can does teach u to find by urself if u take note of position/constellation/nearby star

(although if handset breaks u wont, be able to align or track either as thats part of same handset/mount)

and u need either mains power or power tank

i would recommend it on data and info it contains alone aswell as ok price and ease of set up

great way to show off to family members objects distance,mag,constellation, size etc just by looking at handset

also great for confirming random stars that i dont know yet

Cool same scope same day :)

where u get urs from and how much upay?

got mine from Telescope Planet for £365 included with 25mm n 10 mm ep's plus Sw moon filter also got extra 7mm Kson ep and sw deluxe barlow included in package price great value i think as seen OTA sells for 280 alone :)

Yeh just starting with nebula n fainter objects like galaxies n clusters 2, so far viewed more DSO's than i thought i would (M57, M3, M31,M13 n M92) considering i'm using scope in my back garden(not ideal for light pollution) and lighter summer skys dont help either. (cant wait to see difference in some darker skies)

Great having Goto for these fainter objects although i found some dont automatically appear in eyepiece they will be just noticeable in my finderscope so i then have to manually slew to them to view in eyepiece.

Thinking of adding sum new accessories def getting dew shield

n prob 32mm ep aswell not decided which one yet though.

Maybe get few other things aswell depends on budget not sure yet.

Whats ur 32mm like/make/cost ?

regards James

Got mine from TSP too! Check out this thread i started a few days ago http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/82796-skymax-127-32mm-super-plossl-40mm.html

Some great info about fields of view and setting up the goto system. I got the 32mm super plossl (skywatcher) from First Light Optics for £30. TSP have a poor reputation on here.

Archived