Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SXV-H9 power lead query

I've just bought a H9 and it came with all the leads needed (ST4, power, USB etc).

The power lead is mains, with a transformer. It also have little connections on the side to power it via 12vdc.

I would really like to NOT have the transformer - can the H9 be powered from a 12vdc supply (car battery/power pack/bench supply) directly? by-passing the transformer?

Cheers

Ant

It seems strange to me that you need the transformer - transformers are generally indoors things...

I must ask Michael what the power requirements are and see if someone like astronomiser makes a lead for it with the ciggy plug!

Cheers

Ant

I have the SX MX916 Camera Ant, and it too has the mains tranny with a 12v DC Input for when a mains supply is not available.

The camera is cooled, so perhaps the cooling device is a big current draw, I don't know how much, current is pulled, but it may limit the battery to a short life in the field.

Somebody will come up with a better explanation maybe.

Ron.:)

It may well be that the camera chip neds one voltage and the TEC unit needs another, so the transformer unit is also supplying multiple voltages to the H9 unit. The large metal lump inside is probably just the high to low power transformer, plus add some AC to stablised DC circuitry. (This is almost certainly where the 12v in gets applied).

So, most of the weight is the AC transformer, but I would imagine there is more going on inside that just 240V AC to a single DC voltage out.

I`d be interested too btw, if only for the wiring/pinouts. I find the power leads from the SXV transformers to the cameras are too short :)

Its not possible to bypass the SX transformer with a simple 12v supply unfortunately. There are several feeds - quote from Terry Platt (the designer) on the SX Forum:

Hi Robert,

It supplies +12v for the camera and guider, but there is also a switch-mode

constant current regulator to feed the Peltier cooler, so a simple DC supply

is not sufficient.

Regards,

Terry

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Richie

Thanks Helen, I'd be interested in that.

But I think Steve is right. There are 4 pins going into the camera - that didn't register before, but that would imply that there is more than just 12vdc going in.

Still be intereting to know though.

An extention lead should be too hard to make.

ant

I would not be at all surprised if there was a 12v supply for the Peltier cooling module (relatively high current capability) but a further 5v supply for other parts of the camera. It would make sense to have the 5v voltage regulator installed inside the transformer housing to keep heat away from the camera innards.

Okay, here's the thing: For best performance, particularly with regards to the camera's cooling ability, it is necessary to place as much of the heat producing circuitry away from the camera. Hence SX's decision to build it into a separate power supply.

The cable from the power supply to camera is 3m long, which is sufficient for most telescope/mount setups where the power supply sits conveniently under the mount. For unusually large setups you might wish for a longer lead and SX do offer a 5m cable (£26).

Longer than 5m would not be good as the increased impedance would reduce power to the cooling circuitry and affect performance.

Of course, we are discussing the lead from from the power supply to the camera, the power-supply itself plugs into the mains via a standard 3-pin plug so a regular mains extension lead can also be used where necessary.

HTH :)

Result!!!

Just for completenes... I've found the email from Michael which said

Your power supply can be run off 12V already. On the side of the power supply there is an orange terminal plug which can be pulled out and two wires fitted. This is the 12V DC input to the supply so you can run it off a car battery or similar. The positive terminal is the one nearest the base of the power supply as illustrated on the PSU label.

Helen

Archived