So where on earth is this comet?

JOC

5 minutes ago, John said:

The stars look to be in the right positions relative to the comets position this evening - I used those to star hop to the comets position earlier.

I am naughty I should have said that shot was taken around 1930 ish. that may have been far more helpful.

Comet C/2023 A3 Tsuchinshan- ATLAS, observed last night, October 19 with naked eyes.

As it use to be the case with other faint objects seen on my urban sky, the comet was  more like a discoloring of the sky's background. It was visible as an elongated but not very narrow object.

The head of the comet was visible with averted vision, slightly brighter than the tail.

''Galaxis'' is our astronomy club. Although I cannot attend due to health issues, my friend Armand is holding Sidewalk Astronomy sessions dedicated to the comet Tsuchinshan on every clear night.

One of the very few things I can brag in life is that I founded this club in 1987. Was it worth ? You tell me, after you see the picture attached.

Mircea

https://www.astroclubgalaxis.ro/2024/10/cometa-c2023-a3-tsuchinshan-atlas-un.html

Lacomete.jpeg.ce01a52e27afd1db488b1cef5b8d3f5c.jpeg

Tsuchinshan.19.Oct.2024.v5.gif

Edited by Mircea
  • Like 14

I missed what could have been a couple of better nights, but it was also possibly too low from my garden. I got it eventually last night but it took me ages to find it in any of my photos. It's just a smudge.

image.thumb.png.98b61a8c56ed1d8eb2c1411ac5f6c7ba.png

• Like 3

Friday night, 42N 88W, dark site (B4-ish) - not visible to my naked eye, but quite a long tail through 15x70 binos about one hour after sunset.  Actually, the tail looked longer in my 8x42s.  Not sure what to think about that.

Dial the brightness down a bit on 900SL's pic and that's about right.

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1

Tonight Sky Safari estimated mag 4.4. The comet is definitely fainter than last Thursday's session. Still found relatively easily with 10x50s and a snap with a very old Canon 450D. Iso 800, f5.6. Yongnuo 50mm lens.

comet2023_2copy.thumb.JPG.e7ea60fd9a962dcca650cb5787a7a5dd.JPG

The general light pollution is bad enough but the house below also had bright lights on upstairs. 

I think the Canon is done for. There are pixel artifacts here and there. They do not show up on day time pics.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 7

Interesting observations.  I struggled to see it last Thursday without the help of my camera and I've been telling visitors that.  However, Last night we had a Brownie pack visit and I put the ED80 onto the comet which was really clear.  As we walked back to the barn we could easily see it naked eye.  I think the altitude is helping somewhat.  I was quite surprised but it was clearly there.

• Like 4

I've been persistently clouded out through the whole of this apparition but did grab this wide angle nightscape last night just as the cloud dispersed.

IMG_20241023_210338.thumb.jpg.e5562a3cf67a92b88b589c8b4a53a781.jpg

It's just above the smaller bush on the left.

• Like 3